55 Gallon Angel Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so after a little sweet talking, my dad's agreed to let me put a 55 in his house. I want to make it an angel tank, that's the main focus. I want it pretty well planted. I don't want to get into pressurized co2 though.

If all goes right I'm getting a the tank and stand CHEAP from a guy at work who upgraded to a 75 and doesn't want the 55 anymore.

For equipment: (random order, as it comes to my head)

-tank and stand
-Black sand, thinking blasting sand as it seems popular, really anything cheaper than "aquarium sand"
-Lighting- T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting would this be enough light?
-Filtration-all I've had are HOB's but thinking about going with a canister, suggestions?
-Need a heater
-Plants are really up for anything

Fish:
-2 Angels
-Albino Rainbow Shark
-bottom dwellers/CUC
-Some schooling fish, like 2 larger schools

Dad wants this tank to be different, cool fish that you noramlly don't see.
Don't think the tank will fill till about the 20th.

Now I'm sure I missed things since I just found out I can do it, so I'm typing really fast and my mind is racing. Haha I'm open for any suggestions, advice, tips etc! I'm really excited about this!

Thanks!

So I talked to the guy today and found out that it's the tank, hoods and lights. No stand, which is okay. $50, not too bad I'd say:) Should pick it up sunday!

He did say it was in need of a good cleaning, how would y'all suggest cleaning it? I've heard vinegar works well. I'm also going to paint the back, I've never painted a tank.. So what paint do y'all use to do it, and how do y'all do it?

Good luck with your new tank!!!! I cant advise on lights & plants because im still learning myself about them (all low tech here) but vinegar works really well for cleaning a used tank. Just make sure you rinse it really well. Sounds like you have a great project you are about to embark upon!!! :)

Thanks! :) it ended up coming with a hood and lights so I'll probably just stick with what it comes with and do low light for a while.

That's what I thought too! Pure vinegar or vinegar and water together?

Okay, so after a little sweet talking, my dad's agreed to let me put a 55 in his house. I want to make it an angel tank, that's the main focus. I want it pretty well planted. I don't want to get into pressurized co2 though.

If all goes right I'm getting a the tank and stand CHEAP from a guy at work who upgraded to a 75 and doesn't want the 55 anymore.

For equipment: (random order, as it comes to my head)

-tank and stand
-Black sand, thinking blasting sand as it seems popular, really anything cheaper than "aquarium sand"
-Lighting- T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting would this be enough light?
-Filtration-all I've had are HOB's but thinking about going with a canister, suggestions?
-Need a heater
-Plants are really up for anything

Fish:
-2 Angels
-Albino Rainbow Shark
-bottom dwellers/CUC
-Some schooling fish, like 2 larger schools

Dad wants this tank to be different, cool fish that you noramlly don't see.
Don't think the tank will fill till about the 20th.

Now I'm sure I missed things since I just found out I can do it, so I'm typing really fast and my mind is racing. Haha I'm open for any suggestions, advice, tips etc! I'm really excited about this!

Thanks!

Sounds sweet :)
Your stock sounds fine. Larger schools I'd go with any of the big tetras like bentosis, pristellas, lemons, red phantoms, all up to you, or rainbows like praecox.

For a CUC you could do a BN plec, some nerite snails, amano shrimp and cories.

For plants you could try water wisteria. It will grow real fast.

Thanks! :) it ended up coming with a hood and lights so I'll probably just stick with what it comes with and do low light for a while.

That's what I thought too! Pure vinegar or vinegar and water together?
I use a mix of vinegar & water in spray bottle (50-50) because i use it for cleaning lots of other stuff too! Does a great job of killing mold & mildew too as well as cleaning glass (just rinse the tank well). Anubias seem to do great in any water/light combo i put them in. Ive also got some varied swords, wisteria, mosses, & anacharis for some other low tech plant ideas.

Back
Top Bottom