55 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. So I upgraded my 40 gallon cichlid tank that had 12 electric yellow cichlids about 1.5" and moved them to a new 55 gallon tank.

My question is...

Is this fully stocked or could I add more color variety?

Is a 50% weekly water change the best or could I stretch it any further? (I will determine this on my own after a week when I test the nitrates but I'd like other opinions)

I'd like to breed the electric yellow cichlids. For breeding is my best bet to keep the tank only electric yellows? I'm thinking of growing my electric yellows out more to sex them then I can pick a good male female ratio and trade off the extras and add some other cichlids with more color... What would be a safe species number and a good color combo for the electric yellows?

It's a standard 55 gallon tank with a good amount of hiding spots. No real plants. 2 filters are running on it with 2 bubble strips.

Thx everyone

:)

In a 55 with enough filtration (I'd use no less than 2 aquaclear 70's) and cover you could also keep a dozen demasoni. Thin out about half the Lab's when they're sexable, and they should be fine long-term.

I like your suggestion however the demasoni are a bit pricey and I have a emperor 280 and whisper 60 running on my 55... Any other suggestions?;)

In a 55g you successly keep 3 spieces of fish. So at this point you could slightly thin out the labs when theyre able to be sexed and add one more spieces or really thin them out to add a second. Buy more juvies to start then after they're able to be sexed rehome the aggressive ones or extra males. Ideally you'll end with 15-18 fish when it's all said and done.
So you keep rusty's and scolofi with the labs would be a good combo. Africans hybridized very easily if not stocked well and with that there can be problems.

Back
Top Bottom