55 gallon first time cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys, very soon, I'm going to be setting up my first cichlid tank, I am very excited!
I really like the black convicts, and I was wondering if I could keep one, I know they are South American and shouldn't go with African, but I'm hoping I can do it
These are the fish I have access to, can you guys give me a number of fish and which I should get?
Thanks
Also any background info in them will be highly appreciated( diet, care, temp.)
Thank you
Black convict
Kenyi
Electric yellow lab
Jewel cichlid
Electric blue
Bumble bee
Auratus
Acei cichlid
Also, any other fish that can go with them, preferably bottom feeders?

Ok i know convicts were addressed as a no already and you are in agreement so +1

I also read where it wa mentioned all others are fine.. i dont agree with that the auratus n bumble bee for sure get to big for a 55g thn acei really should be in a bigger tank but alot of people do add them in a 55g .. be careful with the kenyi as they are aggressive and can kill your entire stock . I also agree with getting the synodontis petricola i have 4 in my tank and really enjoy watching them ... as far as stocking goes i think 15 would be good 18 could work depending on size of your fish and filters. For example the cynotilipia afra species stay around 3.5-4in and 18 full grown i personally think would work fine at that size or even with yellow labs mixed in say 8labs 8 afra 2 petricola

Also buying online would open uo a better selection if thats an option for you.

Oh wow really?! That's cool, never heard of oberatocking being ok, lol
If I add one more of each species I will have 18, should I keep it to 15 or is 18 ok?
The reason you overstock is because when one AC is chaseing another and theres a crowd the one who is being chased blends in and can escape

Ok i know convicts were addressed as a no already and you are in agreement so +1

I also read where it wa mentioned all others are fine.. i dont agree with that the auratus n bumble bee for sure get to big for a 55g thn acei really should be in a bigger tank but alot of people do add them in a 55g .. be careful with the kenyi as they are aggressive and can kill your entire stock . I also agree with getting the synodontis petricola i have 4 in my tank and really enjoy watching them ... as far as stocking goes i think 15 would be good 18 could work depending on size of your fish and filters. For example the cynotilipia afra species stay around 3.5-4in and 18 full grown i personally think would work fine at that size or even with yellow labs mixed in say 8labs 8 afra 2 petricola

Also buying online would open uo a better selection if thats an option for you.

So no auratus nor bumble bee? Ok
And I think I'll probably add only one acei or two then
Thanks for all the help! I think I'll be adding 15 to be safe
Thank you!

So no auratus nor bumble bee? Ok
And I think I'll probably add only one acei or two then
Thanks for all the help! I think I'll be adding 15 to be safe
Thank you!

Be careful bc acei can be mean if not in a group i have 4 and mine are ok but i think i should add atleast 2 more to calm the one bully down a bit .. just check the adult size on cichlidforums.com/profiles and try to stay 5in and below or be prepared to rehome or upgrade your tank ...

Be careful bc acei can be mean if not in a group i have 4 and mine are ok but i think i should add atleast 2 more to calm the one bully down a bit .. just check the adult size on cichlidforums.com/profiles and try to stay 5in and below or be prepared to rehome or upgrade your tank ...

+1 on the acei they like 6' tanks. you could do 4 yellow labs 4 cobalt blue zebras 4 red top zebras and 4 of another kind I think would look good

Yup, i'd stick with just mbuna too. Don't try to add peacocks or haps to the mix. Let us know what your planned stock list is!

Are you planning to breed with this tank, or just a show tank?

Back
Top Bottom