55 gallon rescape.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow - nice looking fish! How short is the life cycle? Could you regularly pick up more perhaps.

They have about a 12 month lifespan. Haven't seen locally so have to so would have to reorder if I don't breed.
From what I've read, they breed easily and I have the spare tanks to do breed. But not sure I want the hassle of having colonies of freshwater and saltwater micro foods going at the same time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So a more pressing issue. my one hob is going. Was shopping around for a replacement. Now if I went for HOB would go for an aquaclear, but I've seen the price of sun sun canister filters drop to below $35 with media.

Has anyone used one of the 3 media varieties?

Side note for all the flack they take my pair of whisper filters has done their job for the life of this tank.
Even have one growing a basil plant lol.

Other updates wisteria has grown on me after shooting up more growth.
Java moss has grown well.
Seeing some runners from my narrow leaf chain, but months away from seeing a decent carpeting. Definitely growing betting than the micro sword.

Loving the effects of sand and flourite vs dirt and small gravel.

First live purchase will probably be rcs as my sole ghost shrimp(I bought 20 from pet smart months ago, only one that lived through qt) isn't quite doing the leave clean up my amanos did.

And lastly my last diamond tetra is finally looking the way of the others. If I ever do a larger community tank I would love to see them in large school. These may not be the most prized tetra but their schooling behavior plus their purple/silver shimmering make them an awesome fish. I will miss him. :(

That's too bad about needing new equipment. As for the Sun Sun, have heard many people love them AND some hate them (never had one myself)!

Diamond Tetras are really nice fish, I only had a few and couldn't find any more locally to get a nice group but they were pretty. Yes, an under rated fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475508410.837297.jpg
Was away for the weekend did a water change, cleaned filters and cut and planted some narrow leaf runners.

Update.
Filter finally died, toned down the light to 70% and chopped off an hour of photoperiod. A day of low flow equaled lots of algae :/. Added a power head till replacement is in next week. Went with the sun sun 370gph model. Lost the first guppy born in the tank. Have some great green snakeskin offspring of hers still there though. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476264043.386261.jpg
Forgive the crappy quality they didn't want to stay still yesterday morning lol.

How is the sun filter? I've heard concerns on cheapness but mostly good reviews. I have aqua one filters and I don't think they prime or filter as well as the good brands but much cheaper.

Arrives tomorrow, will post a review of it here once it's hooked up and running for a bit.

I have the Sunsun 302. It's been quiet and dependable since I set it up in May. The flow wasn't as strong as I wanted so I added a circulation pump.

The trick to priming is to fill it up to within an inch from the top. Put your top on and tilt around to get out the air bubbles. Then poor more water in through the intake until full.

Reconnect your hoses (that are full of water) and it will not need any priming.

I have the Sunsun 302. It's been quiet and dependable since I set it up in May. The flow wasn't as strong as I wanted so I added a circulation pump.

The trick to priming is to fill it up to within an inch from the top. Put your top on and tilt around to get out the air bubbles. Then poor more water in through the intake until full.

Reconnect your hoses (that are full of water) and it will not need any priming.

Thanks for the info!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476403988.190535.jpg
Filter attached
First thoughts
Easy setup took about 45 minutes from box to running.

The the inlet and spray bar are very lightweight plastic. Easily move from force of the vinyl tubing kinking. Will probably hard plumb most of this and just leave small sections of the vinyl.
Spray bar kinda short for a 4' tank. Will see if extending is possible with pvc.

Very quiet, the trickle from my salt water sump sounds like a waterfall now lol.

Need fabricate a new egg crate lid now, too many free escape spots.

Will post update as tank progresses, hopefully the flow, increased media, and uv light will do something for the algae. Saturday is the next pwc, mini cycle never happened so back to 50% weekly.

That is good news about not having a mini cycle.

Maybe just diatoms? for the algae part.

It's a little bit of GHA :(. There's some diatoms and gsa but that I can handle with a magic eraser lol.
Least it's not like my attempt at Christmas moss, 1 week of pretty than a 3 weeks of having an algae tree before just cutting it all out.

I ordered more sections for my spray bar. I think I got 2 pieces for $6. But I ended up taking them off because of the flow pressure decease.

I ordered more sections for my spray bar. I think I got 2 pieces for $6. But I ended up taking them off because of the flow pressure decease.

Was thinking making my own out of pvc, longer but more space between holes so flow isn't decreased as much? Plus the small pvc is really inexpensive if doesn't work lol.

I thought about that. But I didn't have any luck finding an easy solution to attach to the output piece. I looked at pvc and TAP plastic for something that would fit it and was stumped.

Found some good videos when I searched diy spray bar on Google. All the builds seemed easy enough.

Doing some major trimming of all sections that have gha. Cut the photoperiod another 30 minutes and upped the co2 a touch. I dont have any signs of a fert deficiency so will play with my el dosing last.

Thinking of removing all the swords and ferns entirely if doesnt abate soon and just do stems lol.

Back
Top Bottom