55 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g aquarium with 12 cardinals, 6 cories, and a pair of kribs. I have no hood except for a 10 gallon hood that i prop up across the top of the aquarium in the middle when i want to see it at nights. Im going to try to create the perfect planted community in that tank. im looking for hardy plants with low requirements in lighting, but i do have flourite red clay at the bottom of the tank. and also some suggestions on stocking with peaceful fish (preferably easy to breed in the community aquarium) although i do have an empty 10 gallon and a 40 gallon with swordtails in it. any suggestionds are appreciated.:thanks:

Welcome to A.A! :welcome:
For plants I would go with java moss, java fern, xmas moss just to name a few. As for the fish tank mates, you could possibly go with endlers if the kribs aren't too aggressive, I don't know kribs very well so I would wait for others to comment!

KeeperOfFish said:
Shouldnt this go in the freshwater getting started section? but anyways this set up sounds great

It probably should so we can just wait until a moderator comes and does a clicky click and changes it:)

thanks. it would have, but i messed up and thought i deleted it, so i made another in the getting started section. anyway ive looked for endlers and there arent any in my area.

zooking12 said:
thanks. it would have, but i messed up and thought i deleted it, so i made another in the getting started section. anyway ive looked for endlers and there arent any in my area.

You could always look online(aquabid or eBay) or look on here I know that there some for sale. If not there are guppies or other livebearers. I can go look up stuff:)

Thanks but ive had bad luck with guppies in the past and i figure endlers are close enough. i have been breeding swordtails for about 2 years, though. and ive been thinking of moving the kribs to the 40 gallon with some keyhole cichlids and the swordtails. the 55 gallon is going to be the first ornamental tank ive had.

:welcome: to AA! :)

If you're looking for some good plants, anacharis, anubias, java fern, java moss, and crypts are all good options. Be careful of your kribs and keyholes if they're both pairs, cichlids get highly territorial when they breed.

:welcome: to AA! :)

If you're looking for some good plants, anacharis, anubias, java fern, java moss, and crypts are all good options. Be careful of your kribs and keyholes if they're both pairs, cichlids get highly territorial when they breed.

So Ive found out. No fish can even go near my kribs' seashell. Even at feeding time, the male krib defends his little pile of food from everyone else.:popcorn::fish2: The female barely even leaves the shell. And even when she does, the male is stuck in it til she gets back. Does that mean they have eggs/ fry? And I have some anacharis... like 1 short stem in front of their shell. Would the 40g plan work then, taking into account their territorial natures?:thanks:

So I've read up on kris, the places I've read say that almost all fish will be killed if they have fry. Some suggestions are zebra danios and jewels which are also cichlids.

So I've read up on kris, the places I've read say that almost all fish will be killed if they have fry. Some suggestions are zebra danios and jewels which are also cichlids.
arent jewel cichlids africans? not sure how well they would work,off to google to find out

arent jewel cichlids africans? not sure how well they would work,off to google to find out

Actually, kribs are africans, too. And, being myself, despite everything ive read, i bought on impulse. I did minimal research on kribs, not really expecting them. But the owner of the lfs gave me a pair and told me to breed them and bring back $10 worth of fry. Cool, right?:brows: But, due to experience, the kribs pretty much leave evryone else alone. The male is a little agrresssiv when fish come too close:banghead:, but for the most part they know to stay away from their territory and everythings cool.:cool:
:thanks:

thanks. I guess they dont have to be easily bred. I am trying to set up my first long-lasting community.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess they are ok,most sites said they were ok,but a few said "no there super aggressive" they didnt back that up though so i disregarded it

yeah, sometimes different kribs just have different temperments. And im still not even sure if mine are even breeding yet. the female is still puffed up, and now their sleeping in different caves

I would stick with some tetras. Here's a website with some of them: Tetra Fish Profiles
I would go with bleeding heart tetras, rummy nose tetras, peguin tetras etc. they're all great!

All great fish. Never kept them but ive read about them and seen rummys at my lfs. How many of them all could I keep? I'm trying to keep this aquarium as diverse as possible with some cardinals, cories, and a skinny and fast danio/barb, a tiger barb shaped barb/tetra, and a big fish pair centerpeice. I could put some bleeding hearts in for the compressed ones. But I still need a barb/ danio and a centerpeice.

All great fish. Never kept them but ive read about them and seen rummys at my lfs. How many of them all could I keep? I'm trying to keep this aquarium as diverse as possible with some cardinals, cories, and a skinny and fast danio/barb, a tiger barb shaped barb/tetra, and a big fish pair centerpeice. I could put some bleeding hearts in for the compressed ones. But I still need a barb/ danio and a centerpeice.
Let me get all this down.
You have 12 cardinal tetras
6 cories
and a pair of kribs

I would go with either the barbs/danios or the tetras. I'm not quite sure about stocking. If you did danios you could pretty much go with any danio, and if you did barbs I'd stick to the less aggressive barbs such as the cherry barb.:D

thanks i think ill move the kribs (once ive bred them a couple times) and keep my cories and cardinals. I think i might get some zebras, cherries, black phantoms or bleeding hearts (cant decide) and some centerpeice. I'm thinking of either a gourami pair or some dwarf cichlids. Im a little wary about the cardinals but could I keep some angels in there. (And by the way, I'm going to overfilter this tank(probably my canister filter for a 100g) will this work?:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom