55 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you leave a leaf of lettuce in overnight, the snails will be all over it by morning. Rinse repeat as necessary.

There are very few issues in fw tanks that require a special stocking. Most of the reasons that people stock certain fish (algae, snails, etc) can be fixed with some effort or diligence on the owners part rather than resorting to suboptimal stocking strategies. The only reason to ever stock a fish is because you want that fish.

Oh, ok. But I also stock certain fish (like cories) because I want to breed them and that I don't want any leftover food at the bottom. The swordtails, kribs and eventually zebra danios is becauuse I want to breed them as well. The cardinals, and eventually bps, on the other hand, is purely cuz I want them.

Oh, ok. But I also stock certain fish (like cories) because I want to breed them and that I don't want any leftover food at the bottom. The swordtails, kribs and eventually zebra danios is becauuse I want to breed them as well. The cardinals, and eventually bps, on the other hand, is purely cuz I want them.
I think aqua chem just meant that you shouldn't just get a fish for the sake of eating snails.:)

Yea, ok.
Ao instead, i'm thinking of...
2 pairs of kribs
15-20 cardinal tetras
8 zebra danios
3 male bps
10 female bps
I feel like i need 1 more school of fish. Is there room? Also i added so many bps because i wanted to create more targets (the males) so 2 wouldnt fight all the time. And so there are enough females for everyone. What do you think?

zooking12 said:
Yea, ok.
2 pairs of kribs
15-20 cardinal tetras
8 zebra danios
3 male bps
10 female bps
I feel like i need 1 more school of fish. Is there room? Also i added so many bps because i wanted to create more targets (the males) so 2 wouldnt fight all the time. And so there are enough females for everyone. What do you think?

Are you talking about blood parrots? Wow! If you are IMO a 55 g with all those other fish and 13 bps would be way too m any fish! Bps can get rather large! that's my experience with them anyway, I love them though they're probably one of my favorites but my friend has a 125 gallon with about 6-7 bps and some are huge!

Yea, ok.
2 pairs of kribs
15-20 cardinal tetras
8 zebra danios
3 male bps
10 female bps
Personally, I think that sounds really good. If I was you, I would stock that first and then see if you think another school would fit into the tank. :) Better safe than sorry.

Okay. I will. But I just wanna know what would be a good second tetra just in case. Also, are the bps okay?

Okay. I will. But I just wanna know what would be a good second tetra just in case. Also, are the bps okay?
As far as I know, yes the bps are ok.
Maybe lemon tetras or x-ray tetras or penguin tetras.
But, I honestly think you will want to stock with your current stock. Kribs can get mean when the breed, and you are planning 2 pairs, so I think your tank might get a bit stressful if there are too many occupants.

Well, ok. But what if I removed a pair of kribs? Then could I add another school? I was thinking about rummynoses. I guess I could put eithere them or the other krib pair in my other tank.

I think that would be do able. IMO, the rummynoses would be much more peaceull than the kribs and would be a better option:)

Well, ok. But what if I removed a pair of kribs? Then could I add another school? I was thinking about rummynoses. I guess I could put eithere them or the other krib pair in my other tank.
Personally, I think so. :) I have rummies and I love them. They are very tight schoolers and quite active. I know they can be sensitive, but i have not had an in issue since I got mine.

You probably know this since your signature says you already own kribs, but rememebr to have lots of plant cover for all the tetras to feel safe when the kribs get crabby.

Tight schoolers you say? Perfect.
Yes indeed. As long as you keep 6 of them, they will school fairly tightly. I had 5 for awhile (waiting for the last one to get shipped) and they tended to bicker and scatter, but when I have 6, they look awesome in their tight little school.:)

Back
Top Bottom