55 gallon with driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking great. I get so excited when I find a nice piece of wood! (sad, but true!!)

It's just going to look better & better as the planting matures. Keep us updated :)

Will do. Wait till I get some good lights. Ill be a planting fool...

Deckape said:
Will do. Wait till I get some good lights. Ill be a planting fool...

You can't beat the real thing in there!

I must admit I've found the plant side of the hobby more of a challenge than the fish, but I'm getting to grips with it slowly. Worthwhile though.

Thanks guys. This is my first attempt at the plant side of the hobby. I am more of a fish guy. They come before the plants. I just want them to thrive. Maybe the plants can make them more comfortable

Deckape said:
Thanks guys. This is my first attempt at the plant side of the hobby. I am more of a fish guy. They come before the plants. I just want them to thrive. Maybe the plants can make them more comfortable

Hey deckape it's looking really good I am still waiting for my driftwood to sink

How do you attach your ferns I use dark green thread?

I could not find cotton thread of any color. Nylon and polyester, no problem. So I used some cheap fishing line. It did a fine job and really is not noticeable.

Added moneywort and dwarf sags. Also added some more watersprite. I really need to order those lights and quit messing around .....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110918_164940.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110918_164940.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 182
  • ForumRunner_20110918_164950.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110918_164950.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 173
eco23 said:
Keeps getting better and better :). But yeah, you gotta get some lights in there.

Thanks... I needed a diversion today.
I think those lights will be on their way soon.

I got that Catolina t5 3x54 watt with moon lights fixture you recomended to me a while back and I am 5000% satisfied and so are my plants and it only cost 166 shipping Inc

But your tank is looking great are lights the last upgrade or are you planning some c02 ?

Cool thanks Ryan. I am gonna order those same lights. I appreciate your feedback on them. I didn't mean to recommend anything without trying them first myself. I just happened upon them. I am not planning on getting CO2. But I wasn't planning on real plants when I got started in this hobby either. I think at least with the 3 bulb fixture, I can run only 2 and flip the switch if I upgrade to CO2. IF......Thanks again!

I've been using Flourish Excel for the last couple weeks (which is kind of a roundabout co2 substitute). I add a half dose every other day. Vals are supposed to be sensitive to it, but no problems yet. Another thing about Excel is that it supposedly works miracles for algae...but for whatever reason Seachem can't market it that way...it's a well known fact though.

eco23 said:
I've been using Flourish Excel for the last couple weeks (which is kind of a roundabout co2 substitute). I add a half dose every other day. Vals are supposed to be sensitive to it, but no problems yet. Another thing about Excel is that it supposedly works miracles for algae...but for whatever reason Seachem can't market it that way...it's a well known fact though.

Great. I was about to PM you about that very subject. I am gonna let the tank ride for a few days, test the nitrates and see if I need to dose fertilizer.

Deckape said:
Great. I was about to PM you about that very subject. I am gonna let the tank ride for a few days, test the nitrates and see if I need to dose fertilizer.

I dose Flourish Comp 2x per week too along with the Excel. The problem with planted tanks is that everyone has their own way of doing things...and there's no advice like 1+2=3. Apparently it's really a matter of experimenting and adjusting yourself to see what works. When you ask a question...4 people tend to give you totally conflicting advice. It's a pain in the butt and complicates things...but it's worth it.

The next fixture I'm getting is going to be this one
48" T5 HO Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Plant 162W Timer | eBay

Not as great as some of the others but it looks like it has a lot of features and the price is hard to beat if it works. I'll definitely give a review once I get it.

The excel thing, most people that use excel religiously actually move over to glutaraldehyde, which can be found in metricide or cidex. If they sound vaguely familiar they should, they are used to sterilize medical equipment.

It's just a cheaper route to get the same active ingredient.

As far as excel being a herbicide,it definitely can be, but use caution because it can also kill the plants you want to keep, along with the inverts and fish. I never overdose this particular product. That said I've never had an issue with vals or anacharis or any other delicate plant melting.

Finally, it's meant to be dosed daily (mimicking a consistent carbon source) as it dissipates 12-24 hours after contact.

jetajockey said:
The next fixture I'm getting is going to be this one
48" T5 HO Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Plant 162W Timer | eBay

Not as great as some of the others but it looks like it has a lot of features and the price is hard to beat if it works. I'll definitely give a review once I get it.

The excel thing, most people that use excel religiously actually move over to glutaraldehyde, which can be found in metricide or cidex. If they sound vaguely familiar they should, they are used to sterilize medical equipment.

It's just a cheaper route to get the same active ingredient.

As far as excel being a herbicide,it definitely can be, but use caution because it can also kill the plants you want to keep, along with the inverts and fish. I never overdose this particular product. That said I've never had an issue with vals or anacharis or any other delicate plant melting.

Finally, it's meant to be dosed daily (mimicking a consistent carbon source) as it dissipates 12-24 hours after contact.

That light looks real tempting. I am about 10 minutes from ordering it myself. I mean light is light afterall and the benefits look great to me. Thanks

The Excel seems to be doing whatever it's supposed to do so far. Plants are growing well and look good, and I'm definitely not seeing any algae breakouts even though I haven't really changed my lighting or Flourish Comp dosing much from before I switched to PFS (maybe being a bit more conservative).

I'm basically sticking with the minimum recommended dosage (as advised by Seachem) since I do have sensitive plants and I've heard it can be sketchy with inverts. But yeah, I'm definitely conservative with it...and get mixed messages based on what forum or article I'm reading. Just another example of there not really being a defined path to follow with a planted tank.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html

Yeah, the timer and LEDs are a nice little add on, I mean both could been DIYed for about $20 or less, but it's still nice to have them on the unit. I've heard that the bulb quality on these fixtures isn't the best, but haven't seen any PAR data yet to find out just how much different they are from the higher end bulbs (geissmans etc).

I do know there are several people including some friends that have the newer oddysea fixtures on planted tanks and report success, so it's definitely on my list.

@ Eco, I've gotten most of my info on Excel/glutaraldehyde from plantedtank.net since they are centered around plants and everything related to them.

I have a few tanks that I dose regularly with cidex, it definitely makes a difference.

Huh, so if I understand...Metricide 14 and Cidex are basically the same thing (contains the same active ingredient which is also in Excel)...but it's basically just a cheaper alternative? Since I'm funny and might freak out...it might be worth the extra $ just to have a bottle with a picture of a plant on it instead of medical equipment being sterilized, lol.

*Don't mean to take us OT, but I know Wayne is looking into what to dose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom