55 gallon with driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
Huh, so if I understand...Metricide 14 and Cidex are basically the same thing (contains the same active ingredient which is also in Excel)...but it's basically just a cheaper alternative? Since I'm funny and might freak out...it might be worth the extra $ just to have a bottle with a picture of a plant on it instead of medical equipment being sterilized, lol.

*Don't mean to take us OT, but I know Wayne is looking into what to dose.

It isn't off topic to me. I am just listening and learning. Where can an average guy find this other stuff?

jetajockey said:
Yeah, the timer and LEDs are a nice little add on, I mean both could been DIYed for about $20 or less, but it's still nice to have them on the unit. I've heard that the bulb quality on these fixtures isn't the best, but haven't seen any PAR data yet to find out just how much different they are from the higher end bulbs (geissmans etc).

I do know there are several people including some friends that have the newer oddysea fixtures on planted tanks and report success, so it's definitely on my list.

@ Eco, I've gotten most of my info on Excel/glutaraldehyde from plantedtank.net since they are centered around plants and everything related to them.

I have a few tanks that I dose regularly with cidex, it definitely makes a difference.

To deckape and jeta this is a great fixture I have it but a smaller version and I contacted the company before ordering and they said they had all the bugs worked out (melting) and now offer a 1 year warranty I have no problems with mine just that it does not look as fancy as the catelina but for the price who cares

ryan-peddle said:
To deckape and jeta this is a great fixture I have it but a smaller version and I contacted the company before ordering and they said they had all the bugs worked out (melting) and now offer a 1 year warranty I have no problems with mine just that it does not look as fancy as the catelina but for the price who cares

That's good news. Thanks Ryan. I appreciate that. I am gonna order it. Thanks Eco, Jeta and Ryan. You guys always help! I appreciate all the knowledge you all have given me so freely.

Nice Ryan thanks for sharing that. Sounds like the company has gotten their stuff together.

@Eco - yeah cidex/metricide are the same thing, the 14-day and 28-day designation just has to do with concentration, so I get the 28-day. The kind I get has a bottle of stabilizer that is attached with a plastic ring to the main bottle, it should be tossed out, stabilizers are bad.

As far as using this over excel, it's just one of those things where it's alot cheaper to get the stuff that isn't marketed to aquarists. It's the same concept with fertilizers. You can buy a 500ML bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for about $15-20, or you could buy 1 lb of CSM+B for about $15-20 shipped and make approx 30 bottles of an equivalent micronutrient mix to Flourish.

Sometimes it's a good thing to cut corners, just stick your feet in before diving in head first.

Hi, is it a waste of money or detrimental to use Flourish Excel in a low light situation? Just wondering, bought a bottle yesterday. Thanks much

Ah, just bought the light from Ebay...In for a dime, in for a dollar. Thanks guys. The dwarf sags may not make it. There are more at the store.

Let there be light! :)

Can't wait to see it. You've gone from ceramic octopus keeper to planted tank master. Before you know it you'll have a 100 gallon reef tank sitting in the house :D

I doubt that. I saw my share of saltwater. Wore a bunch as well.

We have evolved. My dwarf sags probally wont make it. I started dosing the Excel yesterday. I took a shot. The java ferns look great and the money wort looks fine too. I think the LFS snook some cork screw Vals in with the Sags. They looked like frozen lettuce. They are in the hefty bag.

Hope I don't feel the need for CO2. Not too soon anyway.

The light shipped today, arriving Thursday. I can say one thing, that company is efficient. I hope the light is good. If it wasn't for Ryan and Jeta, I would have not noticed it. Thanks fellas

ryan-peddle said:
No problem I doubt you will have any issues with it

The moonlights and timer were the clencher. I don't have a lot of time for DIY and honesty not very good at it either.

jetajockey said:
I'm looking forward to updates with pictures, those lights look awesome and I can't wait to get some myself.

You got it. Gotta make my photographer friend some chicken. She will hook us up. Thanks Jeta.

Should be here Thursday. I am very excited to get it. I put in a bunch of Money wort and just made a spot for water wisteria, I can't find it locally for some odd reason. Just sitting here staring at the tank before my wife and kids get home.

Got my flourish excel on hot standby. I put it in a few times already bit read that it wont do much without good lighting.

Thanks for asking

Light is an amazing thing....Wow...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_170743.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_170743.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20110930_170834.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_170834.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20110930_170852.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_170852.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20110930_170911.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_170911.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20110930_170942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_170942.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
More pics. I bet the plants will take off now. The colors of the fish are beautiful....who knew?????

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_171228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_171228.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20110930_171247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_171247.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110930_171321.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_171321.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 82
I will do the moonlight pictures after taps....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_171931.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_171931.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 75
Man, that's beautiful! Great job...I'm happy for you. I bet the kids and the wife love it too.

You should post a before and after pic :D. I can't believe it when I see pics of my tank before it was planted.

Back
Top Bottom