55 gallon with driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here it is... before and after ... Thanks for all the advice, direct and indirect. I would have never had the confidence without this great forum.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_172722.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_172722.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20110930_173042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_173042.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 124
wow the difference is pretty amazing, the first one looks like average fodder that you'd expect in most tanks, and the second looks like the tank all grown up. It looks like a scene directly from nature, I'm sure the fish love it, congrats.

Now that you've been keeping live plants, isn't it funny that when you look into a tank with fake ones and they look even more fake than they did before?

ryan-peddle said:
Looks great I knew you wouldn't be disappointed with the light

How does your timer work?

Hopefully.....It just got here today instead of yesterday. I really like it. But can I just set it on the glass tops without using the legs? I don't want my fish to go airborne on me or would the light sitting that close cause overheating of the fixture. It didn't come with directions unfortunately.

jetajockey said:
wow the difference is pretty amazing, the first one looks like average fodder that you'd expect in most tanks, and the second looks like the tank all grown up. It looks like a scene directly from nature, I'm sure the fish love it, congrats.

Now that you've been keeping live plants, isn't it funny that when you look into a tank with fake ones and they look even more fake than they did before?

Man, you ain't just whistling Dixie. I cannot thank all of you enough. After 22 years of sailing the sea, I just now have the fortune of having a hobby that I enjoy. Mixing science and art is a great hobby for my girls and me. I couldn't have done it without Eric getting me started and restarted once also. David, your knowledge and wonderful fish and great ferns and moss. I have the swords from SM and HN1 making babies in there also. So it is factually an Aquarium Advice all star tank! Thanks again and I will never be done... hopefully

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
Looks great I knew you wouldn't be disappointed with the light

How does your timer work?

Timer works great. Moonlights are the shizzle. Pics later.

Your tank looks absolutely beautiful, Deckape! The new light fixture really makes your plants and fishes look brilliant too! And that driftwood... WOWZA!! lol

Keep up the good work! (y)

Why thanks. I really appreciate that compliment especially from you. Your tanks are top shelf also!

Moonlight pics. It creates an entirely new dimension.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111001_070010.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_070010.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20111001_070026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_070026.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20111001_070040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111001_070040.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 96
jetajockey said:
Looks sweet, I'm ordering one right now. It's a little short on my 125 (5ft long) but I'm going to elevate it a few inches for better coverage.

You shouldn't have any issues with that plan. I love the light but the legs are cheesy. The timer works as advertised. The light is BRIGHT!.

Any updates? Mine should be here tomorrow, I have to fashion some beams for it to mount onto. First wood and once I get the dimensions perfect i will get some glass or plexiglass cut to fit.

Yea, no updates, busy busy. I hope you like the light. I mounted mine.with the plastic mounts that came.with the light. I kept the glass top off for a few days. The flagfins were jumping so I cut the glass short about 2 inches on each outboard panel. I left the plastic top hinge the original length for support.

I hear ya. Yeah I checked the tracking info on the light and it says anywhere between tomorrow and sometime mid next week. Kind of annoyed at how long it is taking, but hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

I have flagfins in a tank without a lid and haven't had any issues with jumping, but they are in the garage and there isn't a lot of traffic in there to startle them.

jetajockey said:
I hear ya. Yeah I checked the tracking info on the light and it says anywhere between tomorrow and sometime mid next week. Kind of annoyed at how long it is taking, but hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

I have flagfins in a tank without a lid and haven't had any issues with jumping, but they are in the garage and there isn't a lot of traffic in there to startle them.

The last thing I wanted was to lose those awesome fish. Evaporation was becoming bad too. Mine arrived a a day after.the tracking number predicted.

Going good Ryan, I have been working hard and getting ready for the holidays. I hope you and your family have a happy Holiday and even better New year.
I will update pictures later. The tank is looking spectacular with the plants. The java moss and ferns have attached nicely to the driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom