55 Transformation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would recommend quarantining the neons for no less than 3 weeks. Neon tetras are very fragile and can drop like flies if you happen to introduce one with neon tetra disease to your current stock.

I did some major renovating. Removed the rocks, trimmed a lot, rearranged everything, and switched the driftwood. It was too busy before, and it collected too much debris.

image-1483874455.jpg

Moved the tetras to the big tank yesterday. They fit right in. By this morning, they were already schooling with the other ones. It's funny because they're half the size of the other tetras. It added so much more energy to the tank!

Added some cories and a new plant today. I need a new filter in this tank. Sick and tired of these cruddy HOB's

All the moneywart is floating in another tank for now. Got a dwarf baby year covered rock today and another plant. Already forgot it's name. Also picked up a fluval 404. Working on getting a couple parts for it. Once it's up and running this tank will be cruising! I will get some more pictures up soon. What's the best order to put the media in for a fluval?

Here a new update. I got my fluval 404 up and running, and my co2 with an inline diffuser. Added some dwarf hair grass and changed the photoperiod to a full 8 hours. I will hopefully be getting some platinum angels soon. Current tank stock includes: 7 julii cories, 1 adult female BN pleco, numerous baby plecos, a hand full of neons, and 3 African banded barbs. I'm thinking about removing the water sprite and getting another tall plant over there to his the intake and heater. I'm hoping the jungle val on the right grows tall and starts flowing in the out put. I'm up for any input on stocking. I'm thinking of 4 mickle to quarter angels, an albino rainbow shark, and maybe a pair of apistos? Let me know what you think!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392163425.753082.jpg

Looks very nice! CO2 will give you amazing growth. Get the trimming scissors ready! LOL. Watch your light period. If you start seeing GSA or GDA cut them back a hour or two. OS.

Water sprite is gone! I had enough of it. I'm experiencing trouble with my jungle val and co2 regulator at the moment. I want to know why the jungle val won't grow tall? As for the regulator, I got the solenoid to work, but when it turns on, I have to adjust the knob before any bubbles come out. Any thoughts on why that is? Also, my broad leaf ludwigia has turned green instead of red and I have not noticed much growth. Maybe I'm just not patient but I thought ludwigia was supposed to grow like a weed?

Can't say for sure but from the picture it looks to me like you have Dwarf Sag and not Jungle Val. Are the edges of the leaves segregated?

There could be a couple different reasons for non red coloring. Lighting not strong enough (which is generally the biggest reason), you have an actually green species, phosphates levels are too low and nitrate levels are too high. As for growth rate if you have recently planted the stems they will need some time to acclimate and really take off.

It is jungle val, the leaves were 18" when I got them but they melted in the transition, and then it sprouted runners.

As for the lighting, I have 4x54 T5 HO with 6700K bulbs. Shouldn't that be sufficient over a 55?

How do you request changing the potassium levels? I dose PPS pro, and I will have to check my nitrate level, but I can stop dosing that. Is there a way to add potassium?

That lighting would be considered high lighting which will color up plants that are capable of coloring up. You may have a green species of ludwigia or sometimes the leaves don't color up until they get closer to the light.

Do you have a phosphate test kit? Since I have tanks heavy in non-green plants I run my nitrates at 10ppm and phosphates from 3-5ppm. I also dose PPS-Pro but rarely ever dose nitrates which I keep mixed in their own bottle. Then I have the phosphate-potassium mix in another bottle and dose it as needed. At the end of the week right before my weekly WC I take my nitrate and phosphate readings to see where they are. Then that tells me if I need to dose more, less, or the same amounts of those two mixes during the next week.

Also are you using CO2 or liquid carbon?

I just set up co2 about 1.5 weeks ago. I have my nitrates in a separate dosing bottle, then the micros and macros in their own. I do not have a potassium test kit either

Back
Top Bottom