55 vs 65?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KryptiCouple

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, as some of you already know, I picked up a 55gal aquarium last week that we are cleaning up to move our Yellow lab into and get some "friends" for it as well. My fiance thought that it might be better to move our current stock into the 55 and keep the 65 for the cichlids. However, I thought that it may be better to keep the stock the way it is because cichlids would appreciate the length of the 55gal rather than the depth of the 65. Opinions/suggestions?

Thanks, that's what I figured, since the cichlids get longer than what our current stock do. I just figured I would double check in case he was right for once :lol:

Lol. No problem. That's what we're here for! How's the tank coming along? Is fishy still doing OK in community for now or is it in the 10g?

Still doing good in the 65. Tank is coming along great. As long as the weather cooperates, the stand will be finished today. We are sanding and repainting since it needed some work to be safely used in our house. It was pretty scratched up along the bottom, and we have a 1 yr old. We can't have her getting splinters from it. Our goal is to have it set up completely by tomorrow, with the exception of the air pump. We will be getting that next week. We are beginning to think, based on coloring, our lab may be a she instead of a he, and I plan on double checking vents when we move him/her over so we know what to get when we stock the tank.

As requested, here is our progress so far.... Getting more rocks tomorrow, as we thought we had enough and learned that we, in fact, do not. Keith also realized why I wanted bigger rocks to make our caves. Little rocks only go so far!

66238-albums10208-picture42299.jpg

It's a mix of limestone and granite. We'll be getting more, probably tomorrow, to finish off the tank. We're figuring on 20 fish total for the tank. maybe 24. 4 of 5 different species.

Tank is all set up! Got the rest of our rock yesterday, boiled it and cleaned it, stacked it in the tank. Left it sit all day to warm up, etc, then moved our our Lab today. Took the time to vent and found out it's a girl! Lol she will have new friends as soon as we can get them, but until then, doesn't seem to mind being alone, although we may move our clown pleco over. Not 100% positive yet.

66238-albums10208-picture42371.jpg

66238-albums10208-picture42373.jpg

We LOVE the light this hood has, but hate the hood itself, so that will be getting switched as soon as we can find a buyer for this one, although Keith is toying with the idea of building a canopy for the tank that we can paint the same color as the stand.

I also found a local CL ad with cichlids. I was wondering, what, if any of these, could go with our current gal?

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/for/3214101225.html

Yellow Tail Acei Cichlids
Red Zebra Cichlids -
Pearl Cobalt Zebra
Electric Yellow Lab Cichlids -
Electric Blue Maingano
Afra Cobue fry - .5" $4ea Adult Female 3.5"

These can all go together. The tank looks great! Hoods do make tanks look a lot better and so do black backgrounds ;)

We were going to paint the background of the tank black, but decided we didn't want to wait for the rain to go away. When we move and (hopefully) upgrade, Keith would like to make his own 3D background.

KryptiCouple said:
We were going to paint the background of the tank black, but decided we didn't want to wait for the rain to go away. When we move and (hopefully) upgrade, Keith would like to make his own 3D background.

If you have a black trash bag you can tape it back there for now to be a cheap fast fix. But I understand
I have a blue and black background on my 3D background because you can see threw. Some of it where the tunnels are I made black and the rest is blue. Like this If you can see it
52693-albums2955-picture41395.jpg

I got a background at Petsmart. One side black and other blue for 60 cents/foot. But lots use bags too. Btw I like the tank. I think those fish would go with yours. You have an electric yellow and I know the yellow tail acei would go with and the red zebras too. Those are the 3 species I have lol. So I think you'd be good. The acei and labs will be the least aggressive.

FishyBusiness said:
I got a background at Petsmart. One side black and other blue for 60 cents/foot. But lots use bags too. Btw I like the tank. I think those fish would go with yours. You have an electric yellow and I know the yellow tail acei would go with and the red zebras too. Those are the 3 species I have lol. So I think you'd be good. The acei and labs will be the least aggressive.

If memory serves me right you have a 55 gallon, I normally don't recommend fish that get bigger then 5". Acei get bigger then 5" and they love to swim fast so I personally would stay away but I know a lot of people get them. Probably because they are an easy fish to find

Back
Top Bottom