55g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everybody. Picked up a 55g today and here's a couple pictures.
photo.jpg
Dirty tank with room light on.
photo (1).JPG
Dirty tank with room light off + the working tank light on.

So basically tomorrow I will clean up the tank, and probably post more pictures.
Along with the tank, lighting fixtures, and 1 working and 1 not working bulb, I also got a "Maxi-Jet 900". A quick google search shows me that it's a really old powerhead, and I have a spare air-pump + airline tubing, so I'll test it out tomorrow as well. The guy also threw in a sponge, broken fish net, and a black piece of plastic that covers the back of the tank I'll probably toss out since the tank is so old. When it warms up I'll test for leaks. If it does leak I have the silicon to fix it.

As for equipment, my mother has ordered a bunch of it off of amazon for christmas so I don't know any brand names unless I gave her specific websites, so here's the list of specs:

Hydro-sponge Pro Filter optimal for an 80 gallon tank
250 watt heater
Whisper Air-Pump Model 60
T8 Bulbs
Maybe some LED night-time viewing lights

As for decor/substrate, here is that list:

A bucket of rock from my grandfather
Large mopani driftwood from drsfostersmith.com
Estes River Gravel
And probably some pvc hidden in there for fish to hide in

Livestock:

6x Botia Kubotai
6x Pangio Kuhlii
20x Rummynose Tetra
1x Bristlenose/Clown Pleco
Java Moss

I'll have more pictures up tomorrow.

Good start, we will look forward to seeing the setup and more pics!

Looks great - that will be an interesting piece of driftwood for the tank as well.

Is this going to be a planted tank? A school of rummynose with live plants is one of my favorite FW combos...

Nothing that needs ferts, maybe medium-high lighting depending on budget. Already thinking about java moss, java fern, water wisteria, hornwort, and anubias.

That wood is a prime candidate for some nice java ferns. Consider some anubias nana petite as well, really nice foreground plant for low light if you can find it. With T8s you could easily get away with all you listed with very little additional ferts... you'll probably need some flourish every now and then but that would be about it.

Yeah, so I've heard. I've decided that I want to grow out a single angel in the tank for a little more flavor.

Back
Top Bottom