55G FOLR Build DIY ATS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EriksFish315 said:
Awesome set up. And those Lights support corals good?

Thanks, so far the lights are over yellow polyps, birdsnest, palys, frogspawn, and mushrooms, all have improved in the past few months using these LED floodlights.

SeanMonster said:
Keep us posted on how the LEDs work. Planning a reef tank and want to use that type of lighting.

I have a separate thread labeled "cheap led solution", that's where I plan to keep a weekly update on coral growth etc once the 55g is cycled.

TomStav said:
I have a separate thread labeled "cheap led solution", that's where I plan to keep a weekly update on coral growth etc once the 55g is cycled.

Awesome. I plan on following.

Update:::

Finally the holes are cut, now I'm painting the back with Krylon Fusion black satin spray paint, hoping to have the tank and plumbing assembled tonight, will keep you posted...

TomStav said:
Update:::

Finally the holes are cut, now I'm painting the back with Krylon Fusion black satin spray paint, hoping to have the tank and plumbing assembled tonight, will keep you posted...

Awesome! I hope you get it all done!

Update & video:::

Well I have filled it up with freshwater and so far it looks leak proof!

I may redo the ATS slot pipe as its not coming out as even as I would like, and it's noisy. I think I made the slot too wide, kinda hard with a circular saw on your lap while squinting!

Looking around for something to use as a splash guard around the ATS, although it may not splash so much if I make a more even slot pipe.

Need to add some rubber washers or something under the skimmer and return pump as they rattle on the bottom of the sump tank.

The emergency drain works perfect of I block up the slot pipe.

Going to keep it running for a couple of days to test that nothing leaks.

Here's a short video, I will post a better one with my real camera once it's all complete, busy right now...

Looking good...
Yes the ATS slot needs to be spot on..Its probably one of the most important aspects of the scrubber..Remember to leave the top part of the screen smooth so it can slide right into the slot..If its roughed up it will create uneven flow causing splashes ..
Do you have a dremel?

FTMMWS said:
Looking good...
Yes the ATS slot needs to be spot on..Its probably one of the most important aspects of the scrubber..Remember to leave the top part of the screen smooth so it can slide right into the slot..If its roughed up it will create uneven flow causing splashes ..
Do you have a dremel?

Thanks, no I don't have a dremel, but I may go and buy one. Am I right in thinking 1/8" is the proven thickness of the slot?

1/8th to 3/16ths
Do you have a miter saw,handheld or table saw?
I just thought of this actually and it worked great..You do have to be careful of going through the other side ;),,i tried a few slots and found if you pick the pipe up and slide it ,then just flip it and match the other slot up it works best
Obviously a table saw will work best because you can set the height of the blade..

Attachments

• P3244350.jpg
    P3244350.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P3244352.jpg
    P3244352.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 49
FTMMWS said:
1/8th to 3/16ths
Do you have a miter saw,handheld or table saw?
I just thought of this actually and it worked great..You do have to be careful of going through the other side ;),,i tried a few slots and found if you pick the pipe up and slide it ,then just flip it and match the other slot up it works best
Obviously a table saw will work best because you can set the height of the blade..

Thanks for your help, I just managed to cut a pretty neat 1/8th" slot. I've remade the ATS with 1" pipe, so a trickle constantly runs out of the emergency drain (no problem). I have also made a splash guard out of acrylic.

The water is still preferring the center, and not spreading as much as I would like, and it's really loud... Any ideas how I could improve this? I may just leave it as is.

I have not roughed up this screen yet but here's a quick video of it so you get an idea what I'm talking about.

Cheers

I'm considering maybe stitching a thin filter pad/ block to the bottom of the ATS screen where it hits the water to reduce the bubbling noise. Thinking it may work and I can rinse them out weekly while I'm cleaning the screen...

Why would you want to promote algae growth? Is it usefull to have a sump like this on a freshwater? Also how much would I need in order to do a setup like this?

steg22 said:
Why would you want to promote algae growth? Is it usefull to have a sump like this on a freshwater? Also how much would I need in order to do a setup like this?

Search 'algae turf scrubber' basically just gives the algae a place to grow and it filters your water.

You can add a sump for fairly cheap, you can make all of the piping with PVC, sump can just be a plastic container, you can get cheap return pumps, a sump or ATS can be added with any budget...

Back
Top Bottom