55g 'gradual' build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my canister filter installed and running and also re arranged things.

I'm not liking my Fluval E300 heater, it seems to be struggling to heat the tank. Might replace it with an analogue one. I have re positioned it since taking these photos under the spray bar so hopefully that makes a difference.

Got my canister filter installed and running and also re arranged things. http://s615.photobucket.com/user/Ahongus/media/IMG_20131123_161716_zps77b1a986.jpg.html http://s615.photobucket.com/user/Ahongus/media/IMG_20131123_161709_zps60e4d820.jpg.html http://s615.photobucket.com/user/Ahongus/media/IMG_20131123_161703_zps5a379af8.jpg.html http://s615.photobucket.com/user/Ahongus/media/IMG_20131123_161656_zps2c4f9887.jpg.html I'm not liking my Fluval E300 heater, it seems to be struggling to heat the tank. Might replace it with an analogue one. I have re positioned it since taking these photos under the spray bar so hopefully that makes a difference.

Hi is that a HW-302 filter, looks similar to mine. Just wondering what you think of the flow from the spray bar?

Hi is that a HW-302 filter, looks similar to mine. Just wondering what you think of the flow from the spray bar?

It's an All Pond Solutions 1400EF. I think that the same filter is available elsewhere in the world under a different brand(s).

Nitrites though!

1460171_778657428818013_216115964_n.jpg

Oh, what a lovely shade of purple and green those are! Looks like it's coming along! :)

Does the filter inlet need to be on the substrate or can i have it suspended?

Having issues with the lighting, i think moisture has gotten in and whenever i turn them on they are 'tripping' all the sockets in the house so i've bought another unit from APS

T5 Fish Tank Lights Two Bulbs - All Pond Solutions

This leaves me in the position that my tank is not covered at all, so i am planning on getting some Acrylic strips any fitting condensation trays as 'lids'. Should hopefully do the job.

Went across to a mates today as he has a couple of wavemakers that were surplus to requirements and he said i could have them, the one i have in my tank is 2500lph, i have a smaller one but i'm not using that at this time, alot happier now that the whole surface has significant movement.

New water movement - YouTube

I am also going to replace the metal i used to fix the brace with a piece of acrylic, the stuff i was given (from my same mate) is almost the perfect size, so that's good.

Furthermore i am planning on using silicone to stick a length of acrylic over the 2 sides of the tank so as that i can fit some condensation trays to stop both fish jumping out and hopefully reduce the huge amount of condensation water loss i am currently experiencing.

New lighting should be here tomorrow and condensation trays some time next week :)

Todays test

Ammonia is getting taken out quite quickly now a days :) No nitrates yet though.

"Then god said "let there be light", and there was light"

I love it! Got some condensation trays today to make a lid/cover for it also. :)

I think the nuggets i got the light from have sent marine bulbs instead of tropical which means there's going to be a blue tint to it, not sure if i want to change the blue bulb out for another white or not...

Thanks for your comment Greenlilly.

I don't know about you, but I kind of like the bluish tint it gives out. It makes it look like it's very clear, crisp water. :) But it'd be up to you in the end.

I just saw this thread I am a little concerned though about one thing. your ammonia says household ammonia. I am worried you have the ammonia with detergents etc in it. if you put some in a clear jar and shake it up does it foam at the top at all or settle into a nice clear water like liquid

Kleen Off brand is what a lot of fish keepers use in the UK and other countries. I'm pretty sure it's safe. :)

okey dokey I just wanted to catch any potential probs as i was not used to it and whenever I see household in the name I start to worry better to say something and sound stupid than keep quiet and watch disaster happen

Does the filter inlet need to be on the substrate or can i have it suspended?

I have a canister and sand substrate and was told a Minimum of 4" above substrate so I centered my intake in the middle of my height which puts the bottom somewhere in the 6 to 8 inch mark. that's so your intake doesn't suck anything up off the substrate and mess up the pump

okey dokey I just wanted to catch any potential probs as i was not used to it and whenever I see household in the name I start to worry better to say something and sound stupid than keep quiet and watch disaster happen

Yep! Better safe than sorry! Always check the ingredients label.

It's only ammonia diluted with water :)

I am going to move my filter inlet higher, as mine is currently on the sand and i don't like it there.

Back
Top Bottom