5g (I know, I know) just starting. Feeding questions ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter wanted an aquarium and I believe I always wanted one when I was a kid. We couldn't convince my wife to get anything bigger than a 5g. So here we are with our small ecosystem.

The setup is a 5.5G Top Fin, we added Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement. This is the first picture:

After 5 days we added Tetras (I think they are Rosy, but I'm not sure), 3 of them.

3 days after adding the fish I changed about 1G of water and added more Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement (before adding the water to the aquarium).

I'm measuring the water with the 5in1 strips and and ph seems to be ok, between 6.5 and 7, KH is pretty close to 40ppm and GH between 0 and 30ppm. Nitrites and Nitrates are at 0ppm. Water is at 25c (77f).

I read that since I'm still on the cycling phase I should change the water more frequently so I'm planning to change 1g every 3 days.

The fish seem very quiet during the day (and with the aquarium light on) they get a lot more active when there's no lights. And they don't seem to be eating a lot, I feel like they don't see the food, and will only eat if one of the flakes is sinking right in front of them. This behavior doesn't change, I tried not feeding them for a day, feeding once a day, or multiple times a day. Only really small amounts (I counted like 10 flakes once). I can see food on the gravel since they never eat everything...

Any advice from aquarium advice folks?

Thanks!

muanis

Don't leave extra food in tank(syphon it out).
An ammonia test is really what you need as it will show before the nitrites.
Hard to say how much water with out test.
ammonia should not go over 1ppm.
The % of water you change is the % the nutrient(ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) is removed.
Example is 2ppm ammonia .
50% waterchange should get you to 1ppm ammonia.
75% waterchange should get you to .5ppm ammonia.
Fish will be fine being fed 1 time a day and should eat ALL food in under 2 minutes IMO.
Enjoy!

Tks CoralBandit. I ordered the vacuum cleaner and just added an ammonia test to the order.

Tks CoralBandit. I ordered the vacuum cleaner and just added an ammonia test to the order.
(y)
Until they arrive it is safe to change 2 gallons everyday or every other.
Always condition water(dechlorinate) and get it as close to tank temp as possible(really) for water changes.
Hope your daughter enjoys the tank(looks nice!).

Often fish won't eat for a little while after being moved to a new tank; it's totally normal! My fiance and I got an angelfish back in December and he didn't eat for a whole week after we bought him. Now he doesn't know how to STOP eating!

The fish you chose are maybe not the best options. They need a little bit more space than a 5 gallon and you should have at least 5 for a proper school. That said, if it's too much to change it, then they'll be alright in that size although I would still add 2 more after the tank finishes cycling, and not add any other fish.

I recommend a liquid test kit rather than the strips! The liquid test kits are more accurate and also much more economical- a $30 master liquid test kit (includes every test you need) is good for around 200 tests for each parameter.

The vacuum and ammonia test arrived. Looks like 0.50 ppm. (see below).

Is there a safe range? I'm planning to renew 2g today and cleanup the gravel from old food.

For ammonia, you always want it to be 0. In the very beginning of cycling- where you're at now- try to keep it less than .5 ppm.

The vacuum and ammonia test arrived. Looks like 0.50 ppm. (see below).

Is there a safe range? I'm planning to renew 2g today and cleanup the gravel from old food.

Ok ,cycling fish in tank it is best to keep ammonia well under 1ppm.
Right now at .5ppm I would not change water.
If tomorrow it is higher I would do 50% change.
You need some ammonia to grow the bacteria you desire.
Do you have nitrIte and nitrate test kits?
When ammonia goes to 0(along the way) your nitrItes should "spike".
They also should not ever go over 1 ppm.
Do the "protocol" for nitrItes as ammonia.
I'll mention sometimes nitrItes never show,so in time (a week or so) you should test for nitrAtes.
We'll discuss regular water changes after the tank has cycled.
With fish in tank it is very important to pay close attention.
Many fish live through cycling ,but can be affected by it and have much shorter lives or weakened immune systems causing disease issues for tank.

:(

next time I'll post "before" I do something. I changed about 2.5 to 3g. A lot of food/dirty/poop came through the vacuum, but I can still see some in the gravel (maybe I still have some ammonia source :) ). The rocks are now slippery, as if they have a tiny coat of something.

I'll test for ammonia again in a few hours after the filter circulates a bit more.

The fish start eating a lot better since yesterday, they're actually chasing food now. We gave food 2 times yesterday and 2 times today.

:(

next time I'll post "before" I do something. I changed about 2.5 to 3g. A lot of food/dirty/poop came through the vacuum, but I can still see some in the gravel (maybe I still have some ammonia source :) ). The rocks are now slippery, as if they have a tiny coat of something.

I'll test for ammonia again in a few hours after the filter circulates a bit more.

The fish start eating a lot better since yesterday, they're actually chasing food now. We gave food 2 times yesterday and 2 times today.

Don't worry about it! It's not such a big deal. Any circumstance except fishless cycling, if you see ammonia you absolutely should change a bunch of the water! The ammonia will just build back up again until the bacteria start to consume it.

Your fish eating is a great sign! It means that the conditions, although not ideal, are good enough for them to survive in. Often if the water quality is too poor fish will refuse to eat.

sini is correct.
No harm in changing water and always better to error on safe side(you did).
Feed lightly while cycling.
Check level as you said so you see the "gain" tomorrow .

Looks between 0 and 0.25 ppm now.

I still only have the strips for nitrites and nitrates. I'll test again tomorrow.

Looks between 0 and 0.25 ppm now.

I still only have the strips for nitrites and nitrates. I'll test again tomorrow.

Replace those with liquid kits ASAP. THey're more accurate and a lot more cost effective. A pack of strips is cheaper than a liquid test kit, but a liquid test kit is good for around 200 tests.

Changing 2.5g every other day. Ammonia before changing the water is always around 1ppm. Still didn't see any movement on GH, KH, nitrates and nitrites.

Fish are eating, 2 of them we can notice they're kind of growing. They look happy, I see a lot of movement.

A little over 2 weeks now, let's see if this will ever cycle, changing water every other day is kind of annoying.

Changing 2.5g every other day. Ammonia before changing the water is always around 1ppm. Still didn't see any movement on GH, KH, nitrates and nitrites.

Fish are eating, 2 of them we can notice they're kind of growing. They look happy, I see a lot of movement.

A little over 2 weeks now, let's see if this will ever cycle, changing water every other day is kind of annoying.

That's why I cycle before I get the fish, sure empty fish tanks are frustrating but changing water every day is worse ;) You're doing everything right, so just keep it up.

It's funny because reading all the stuff here I know it's what it is. Cycle, small aquarium will not support a lot more fish but ...

... my wife keeps repeating "I had an aquarium when I was a kid and it was small and I had I don't know how many guppies and I don't remember doing all the stuff you're doing".

And my daughter asking everyday when she'll be able to add more fish...

At least she took over the feeding, so she's learning a bit of pet ownership and responsibility.

From 2ppm to 1ppm with 2.5g (50%) water change. I think I'll change it again tomorrow, this one was 3 days apart.

Back
Top Bottom