5g (I know, I know) just starting. Feeding questions ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your pH is pretty low; you may have low water hardness which could stall your cycle. Try adding some crushed coral or aragonite to your tank.

I read in another thread about the low ph and slow cycle, I added half the measure of the API True ph 7.5 and it bumped it to 7 ~ 7.5

It's also getting hot in NY and the temperature is at 28C (82F) I'm already trying to figure out how to keep the temperature a bit lower.

The markers for GH and KH are within range, I'm controlling the ammonia with the water changes.

It's been 1 month. I believe I'm still not cycled. I got that disc that constantly monitor the toxic ammonia (someone recommended on another thread). I tested the disc on top of windex and it turns dark in seconds, so I know it's working. But the API test for ammonia shows 2ppm every 2 days and I'm doing 60~75% water changes every 3 days.

This sunday my daughter got home with 6 neon tetras. They're doing fine. All fish are eating what we put in the aquarium. We're still only feeding them small portions 2 times a day.

It's just a lot of work to change the water so frequently, but I'm happy that fish is getting though.

But none of my measures is going up. Everything besides the ammonia is normal.

Nitrites and Nitrates finally showing up. I'm hitting the 40 days mark.

Looks to me as 1ppm of nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate. I did 25% WC for the past 3 days in a row, ammonia is rising back to 1ppm to 2ppm daily.

Fish are eating. 3 days ago they were looking like they were losing colors, but they look good again. There's a lot of activity in the aquarium and they look happy.

Back
Top Bottom