6 year old granddaughter still staring at empty tank. please help out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only reason you would need any kind of lighting upgrade is if you were planning on doing live plants. Since the tank belongs to a 6 yr old... I doubt that is the case so stock lighting is fine. Actually any lighting is fine as long as she can see her fish when she wants to.

You will find that FW isnt that much different than salt with the exception of... Well, salt. Same testing, etc. Good luck with a quick cycle and trying to get a 6 year old to clean a fish tank. (basing that one on my experience trying to get my kids to do ANYTHING that doesn't involve a TV or a handheld video game.... Oh the joys of parenthood and the evils of technology)

Thanks, not planning a quick cycle, when it's done it's done, she knows she has to wait after water is in to get fish. Told her we need to make sure water is safe for them.

LOL I don't think she will clean it, but her mom did agree to do it, otherwise I wouldn't get her fish. Like I told her if she doesn't take care of them, I will take the tank because the fish need to be healthy and happy. She said "ok grandma" lol and she knows I will.

Thank you. Stock lighting it is.

Thanks everyone for your help and input, I have the information to figure out what else I need to buy..............then I will fishless cycle and make sure all is well before adding her tenants.

As far as lighting goes, if you aren't keeping live plants then you can go with just about anything. The best route though IMO is to use a basic stock 10g hood that has screw in fixture and put some CFLs in it. Walmart and pet stores have narrow screw in CFLs that fit perfect, and hardware stores usually do as well. Cheap and easy and way brighter than incandescents.

As far as lighting goes, if you aren't keeping live plants then you can go with just about anything. The best route though IMO is to use a basic stock 10g hood that has screw in fixture and put some CFLs in it. Walmart and pet stores have narrow screw in CFLs that fit perfect, and hardware stores usually do as well. Cheap and easy and way brighter than incandescents.

Hey jeta, how ya doing? Thanks for the info, Maya said same thing pretty much. :)

I have 2 CFL in my 10 gallon hood. I chose them as I've seen the stock bulbs basically act like heaters, and they get the water temp too high. But the CFL don't seem very bright to me. Just the opposite in fact. How many watts are recommended in a 10 gallon? Is it possible to get too bright?

Back
Top Bottom