60 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have seeded material from my 20 gallon, the rock work is done, and i went with carrib sea cichlid mix. No pictures yet (lights turned off for the night) so ill try and get some tomorrow

i have seeded material from my 20 gallon, the rock work is done, and i went with carrib sea cichlid mix. No pictures yet (lights turned off for the night) so ill try and get some tomorrow

Cool cant wait to see it!

Do you have a test kit and all of that good stuff?

Of coursee :) ill take a pic when i get home tonight

New said:
I got a 60 gallon tank, and i need help getting started. Some of the basics:

-dimensions: 4ft long X 2ft tall X 1ft wide
-filters: Penguin biwheel 350 (X2)
-Heaters: Fluval M200 (X2)

I'm looking to do an african cichlid tank (lake malawi) and I know absolutely nothing about cichlids. This is not my first fish tank and I know about the basics like cycling (I have seeded material from my 20 long). I'm thinking about electric yellow labs, yellow tail acei cichlids, and maybe electric blue cichlids (my LFS is petsmart so it would be nice if the recommendations could be based on their stocking).

Here's my advice from my own experience:

I have had all three of the species you suggested in a 55 and I do most of my stock shopping at PetSmart because it is convenient. You need to watch out for PetSmart Electric Blue Cichlids, which are actually Electric Blue Hap Ahli. They can be quite aggressive. It's hit or miss with those guys. The EB at my PetSmart kills any tankmate they put in there (they told me this).

It's generally advised to pick a single Cichlid "group" (Mbuna, Haplachromines OR Peacocks) and not to mix groups. Labs and Acei are both Mbuna and are good choices for compatibility and ease of care. They are a good choice for Cichlid noobs. The Aceis should have an F:M ratio where the females outnumber the males (say 3:1 to 4:1) to keep the males from harassing the females to death. Alternatively you could have all Males. Labs are a lot more flexible when it comes to the M:F ratio. If course if you get them as juveniles, you won't know the gender until they get older, so you may need to do some swapping out as they mature.

I would not exceed 3 different species of Mbuna in a 60 gallon tank. You will have a hard time finding compatible tankmates at PerSmart though. Most other species there are way too aggressive to coexist with Labs and/or Acei. You ~might~ get away with some zebras, which you may be able to find in the generic "Mixed Africans" tank but be warned that those could very well be mutts, and folks in this hobby frown on hybrids. BTW, although the folks at PetSmart mean well, they quite likely know very little about Cichlids. Do your research here and avoid impulse purchases. Believe me, I have learned that the hard way.

So far as any non-ciclid tankmakes, your best bet is one of the smaller, tougher Synodontis like a Syn.Petricola. Some folks will try tougher Plecos like a Bristlenose Pleco, but a Synodontis is a safer bet.

Expect to do 25%-50% water changes at least weekly. Investing in a good water test kit is a very good idea. Investing in a good Python, etc gravel vacuum will save your back and flooring. That's well worth the cost. If you want to save a little, search for a DIY gravel vac in the AA forums.

So far as food, pick up some NLS if you can find it. PetSmart does not stock it, but PetCo does. I hear Omega One fish food is also good (which PerSmart does sell), but I personally have not used it. I find that pellets keep the water much much cleaner. Only feed a pinch a day, if that. The food should be gone in 30 seconds.

Have fun and good luck!

Labenator65000 said:
Here's my advice from my own experience:

I have had all three of the species you suggested in a 55 and I do most of my stock shopping at PetSmart because it is convenient. You need to watch out for PetSmart Electric Blue Cichlids, which are actually Electric Blue Hap Ahli. They can be quite aggressive. It's hit or miss with those guys. The EB at my PetSmart kills any tankmate they put in there (they told me this).

It's generally advised to pick a single Cichlid "group" (Mbuna, Haplachromines OR Peacocks) and not to mix groups. Labs and Acei are both Mbuna and are good choices for compatibility and ease of care. They are a good choice for Cichlid noobs. The Aceis should have an F:M ratio where the females outnumber the males (say 3:1 to 4:1) to keep the males from harassing the females to death. Alternatively you could have all Males. Labs are a lot more flexible when it comes to the M:F ratio. If course if you get them as juveniles, you won't know the gender until they get older, so you may need to do some swapping out as they mature.

I would not exceed 3 different species of Mbuna in a 60 gallon tank. You will have a hard time finding compatible tankmates at PerSmart though. Most other species there are way too aggressive to coexist with Labs and/or Acei. You ~might~ get away with some zebras, which you may be able to find in the generic "Mixed Africans" tank but be warned that those could very well be mutts, and folks in this hobby frown on hybrids. BTW, although the folks at PetSmart mean well, they quite likely know very little about Cichlids. Do your research here and avoid impulse purchases. Believe me, I have learned that the hard way.

So far as any non-ciclid tankmakes, your best bet is one of the smaller, tougher Synodontis like a Syn.Petricola. Some folks will try tougher Plecos like a Bristlenose Pleco, but a Synodontis is a safer bet.

Expect to do 25%-50% water changes at least weekly. Investing in a good water test kit is a very good idea. Investing in a good Python, etc gravel vacuum will save your back and flooring. That's well worth the cost. If you want to save a little, search for a DIY gravel vac in the AA forums.

So far as food, pick up some NLS if you can find it. PetSmart does not stock it, but PetCo does. I hear Omega One fish food is also good (which PerSmart does sell), but I personally have not used it. I find that pellets keep the water much much cleaner. Only feed a pinch a day, if that. The food should be gone in 30 seconds.

Have fun and good luck!

EDIT: Take note of PTON's Lab/Acei advice. I did not see that post before I added my own here. I personally have not had a problem, but you need to consider feedback from folks with experience.

So shoul i keep it to just 2 cichlid species? And how many of each species?

I would say you can do three species. I'm going to let someone else answer the number of each and the total number. Opinions vary so much between folks. My idea of the max is whatever I can add to the tank such that the water parameters stay acceptable without having to do PWCs more than once per week. I currently have 11 total fish in my 55, but I'm considering adding a few more. It depends on bioload, compatibility, hiding places, etc.

Labenator made some good points that I forgot to hit on.

An alge eater is a must to reduce the bio-load. Synos and bristle nose Plecos are a good choose with cichlids as they can handle a little abuse from them. A common Pleco will work but beware they get vey big and have an even bigger bio-load so eventually they do more bad than good.

I feed my fish NLS(new life spectrum) also and couldn't be happier with the results. If you plan on going a different direction just watch out for the protein amount as high protein(over 30% I think) can cause bloat in cichlids. Witch could lead to death.

A python or other kind of gravel cleaners is also a must in keeping the tank clean and keeping your nitrates in check. It's a little more difficult with sand but it's not that bad just read up on the best ways on this site.

I have a pleco (common unfortunately) in there, and i have a gravel vac, i was thinking 3 species; 4-5 of each? Or if there are no other compatible ones 2 species at 6-7 each?

New said:
I have a pleco (common unfortunately) in there, and i have a gravel vac, i was thinking 3 species; 4-5 of each? Or if there are no other compatible ones 2 species at 6-7 each?

That seems like a safe plan. Just be prepared to flex. Cichlids have personalities. Sometimes you just get a stinker in there that has to be relocated or swapped out.

Okay. So auratus, bumblebees, and blue haps arent compatible with yellow labs and acei?

New said:
Okay. So auratus, bumblebees, and blue haps arent compatible with yellow labs and acei?

I would skip the haps and go with the others as long as you have plenty of hiding spaces. An like labenator said be prepared to flex because they do have personalities!!

So which would be a safer bet, the auratus or bumblebees? And would the small tank labeled as kenyi be compatibile? (i have no clue wat they really are

New said:

I have considered auratus and bumblebees to go in with my labs and deemed them incompatible. I would not to haps, either. I would stick with Mbuna. Red Zebras?

Im goin to petsmart today so we will see

And what about the kenyi?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would not suggest the bumblebee or auratus as they can be very agressive! I would suggest the kenyi, red zebra, Electric blue johanni, a yellow tailed accei, and a borleyi. I have all these fish in my tank and for mbunas they get along relatively well.

GOOD NEWS! after I quit petsmart today (today was it, they were just too stupid) i found a new local fish store with a great selection and knowledgeable staff who helped me out. I ended up with: 4 yellow labs, 4 acei, and 3 kenyi (1m: 2f)

GOOD NEWS! after I quit petsmart today (today was it, they were just too stupid) i found a new local fish store with a great selection and knowledgeable staff who helped me out. I ended up with: 4 yellow labs, 4 acei, and 3 kenyi (1m: 2f)

Nice Mix!

You are on your way to African Cichlid Obsession!:dance:

40170-albums1950-picture37814.jpg

40170-albums1950-picture37813.jpg

40170-albums1950-picture37812.jpg

What do you think?

Don't worry, my friend agreed to take the silver dollars and few tetras

Back
Top Bottom