60 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, i lost her. How fast would bloat kill a fish? cause she went down in about 24 hours.

New said:
yes, i lost her. How fast would bloat kill a fish? cause she went down in about 24 hours.

Really depends, How much protein u gave the fish at one time. What are u feeding them? Most mbuna are herbavores, so protein is not the best for them. Some fish can last a while without gettin bloat, others get it sooner, Its all on the food and how often feeding is and the indivisual fish itself

Sorry for the loss. If her belly was all swelled up then it could have been bloat. What do you feed tout fish?

theyre aqueon tropical flakes, says all tropical fish. Not the best, but i still havent gotten cichlid food yet

New said:
theyre aqueon tropical flakes, says all tropical fish. Not the best, but i still havent gotten cichlid food yet

Yeah. No good. Too much protein. Find some NLS Cichlid or Omega One pellets.

Sry to jump n ..wanted to say thanks to everyone for postin helpful info .. i just got a 55g which i havent cycled yet gotta buy a stand next week but i was pickin my fish n my hubby likes the cichlids so i want him to like my tank n thats what we r doing.. i asked an "expert" n petsmart (only place we have other then walmart) which usually knows her stuff n she told me i could mix all africans together reguardless of the lake n they would b fine..luckily i knew better.. anyway yall really helped me decide on what im gonna get once i cycle n setup my tank...my hubby really wanted the bumble bee ..i want the acei,labs,&kenyi though..

Well I know that the labs and acei are fine to go together but I'm pretty sure that haps need to be or at least thrive in an all hap tank. There are many many species that are compatible with labs an acei's like melanochromis, pseudotropheus(acei family), labidochromis(yellow lab family), and labeotropheus are just a few that are commonly compatible together. Just do your homework before buying and you should be fine.

And whatever you end up getting try to keep a ratio of 1 male to 3-4 female of each species.

If it is an electric blue jack Dempsey then defiantly not your tank is to small and they are not compatible with the other fish. If it was an electric blue Johanni, some people get away with stocking them with other cichlids but generally they are hyper aggressive and are not recommended. If its the "electric blue cichlid" that comes up on petsmarts website then that is a hap.

His tank is not too small for a EBJD. He has a 60g tank and lots of people have JD's in 55 gallon tanks and that's for the regular kind, EBJD's are a lot smaller than JD's. I myself have a Green Terror and a regular JD in a 63 gallon and did loads of research beforehand. So can't agree with this statement at all.

Back
Top Bottom