60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would paint the back and be done with it. If you don't like how it turns out it scrapes right off with a razor blade.

Great news! Finally get to fill the tank today! I'll post pictures ASAP :)

Tank is up and running! Waiting for it to clear up before I post a pic.

Ok heres the filled tank shot, sorry it took so long! I've been so busy with school. Oh, and btw I returned the slate, I decided I didn't like it. I have an idea of what I want to do though! I'll add a picture of my example later. But in the mean time, what do you guys think??

88553-albums14240-picture68121.jpg

u need a lot more rocks mbuna need hiding places to get away from aggression. Also your filters intake tube is too deep in the tank pick it up a little bit. The heater I would put it down deeper in the water. Your off to a good start though keep us posted

u need a lot more rocks mbuna need hiding places to get away from aggression. Also your filters intake tube is too deep in the tank pick it up a little bit. The heater I would put it down deeper in the water. Your off to a good start though keep us posted

Ya I know I need more rock, Im definitely getting more ASAP! And ya, I can't figure out how to shorten the tube, it almost hits the gravel. Is there a way to adjust it?? Oh and I like the heater up high, It keeps it out of sight. I have the temperature set at 84 and thats exactly what the thermometer reads, so its doing a good job so far!

Ya I know I need more rock, Im definitely getting more ASAP! And ya, I can't figure out how to shorten the tube, it almost hits the gravel. Is there a way to adjust it?? Oh and I like the heater up high, It keeps it out of sight. I have the temperature set at 84 and thats exactly what the thermometer reads, so its doing a good job so far!

hmm that blue lever on the intake tube is not for adjustments? the heater up high might look better but it won't do as good a job heating the tank up there. Also when you get evaporation in the tank the heater could possibly be sticking out of the water which is bad and could cause it to shatter in the tank which is a nightmare. Why is the temp at 84?

Here's a video of my 60g, running a F406, AC110 and a Koralia 750. Fake rocks from PetsMart and a piece of wood for my pair BN plecos. My house gets down to 61 during the winter nights and we only heat the sleeping areas so running a 300 watt Aquaeon heater, had a 200 watt and it was constantly cycling during the night. The 300 rarely comes on for very brief periods. Painting my back wall black made my fishes really pop.

White Labs
Rusty's
Saulosi
White Tail Acei
Sailfin Catfish
BN Plecos

Water always clear, 60-70% WWC since overstocked.

http://youtu.be/YBvEuFgrXVk

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hmm that blue lever on the intake tube is not for adjustments? the heater up high might look better but it won't do as good a job heating the tank up there. Also when you get evaporation in the tank the heater could possibly be sticking out of the water which is bad and could cause it to shatter in the tank which is a nightmare. Why is the temp at 84?

I guess I can see the concern with water evaporation. And because i had it turned up high when I first put it in, ill need to of course turn it down to about 80 before I add fish.

Here's a video of my 60g, running a F406, AC110 and a Koralia 750. Fake rocks from PetsMart and a piece of wood for my pair BN plecos. My house gets down to 61 during the winter nights and we only heat the sleeping areas so running a 300 watt Aquaeon heater, had a 200 watt and it was constantly cycling during the night. The 300 rarely comes on for very brief periods. Painting my back wall black made my fishes really pop.

White Labs
Rusty's
Saulosi
White Tail Acei
Sailfin Catfish
BN Plecos

Water always clear, 60-70% WWC since overstocked.

http://youtu.be/YBvEuFgrXVk

Love your tank!!

More rock!! Really liking the look so far. And Yes, the small pieces are real holey rock :) Also bought a little thermometer for the tank. Had to take one from my other tanks and switch it back and fourth before.

88553-albums14240-picture68131.jpg

More rock!! Really liking the look so far. And Yes, the small pieces are real holey rock :) Also bought a little thermometer for the tank. Had to take one from my other tanks and switch it back and fourth before.

On your filter you need to cut about 2" off the tube between the mid valve and the strainer or it will suck any small particulates out of the substrate and ruin the impellor.

This looks like it's gonna be a great tank in the future! It'll definitely make for some happy cichlids.
Man I wish I had the $$$$ (and parents who like fish) to start up a lake tang cichlid tank! There's a beat up LFS near me with bad fish but outside they've literally got a mountain of real holey rock for a real good price.

Went to a local fish store about an hour away from home and went crazy! NICEST PLACE IVE EVER BEEN TO! Spent $217 lol, all worth it though. Hope you like it so far cause I sure do! I still want to get a couple more fake plants.

88553-albums14240-picture68132.jpg

coming together nicely..can't wait to see it when you have some fish in there. keep us posted. That blue piece on your intake tube, is that a lever to adjust the height? and the heater I would push that thing way down to properly heat the water

Thanks guys!! I think it's time to finally discuss stock :) What I was thinking is
X5 peacock cichlids
X5 yellow lab cichlids
X5 brichardi cichlids

How does that sound? I also would like to add 5 more of another species but not sure what.

I think there is a problem with that mix but don't take my word. Its useless for most africans

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom