60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL came home and checked my notifications and a MAJOR heater debate was going. To funny!! Now that thats over with, Ive decided that for now I'm unfortunately gonna have to wait on the holey rock, as its to expensive! I was looking for a piece that was about 15 inches tall and they were anywhere from $60-$200 for a SINGLE rock! Might just have to buy more slate and focus on a cool look with that.

Ohh.. boy... i wanted to leave.. you guys are basing your opinions on what works for you.. my apt. Was 64° this morning.. my 20l is set to 81° with a 100watttttt heater in it. every time I look at the tank the light on the heater is on.. i really should replace it with a 150.. if your room temp is a constant 70° and your tanks are 76 than sweet. Minimalistic is fine.. you forget we live in a country where some go out in shorts and a tee shirt now and I had ice crystallize on my windows this morning..
Mog.. i have a static 25 on my 5.5 and it perfectly maintains 74° perfect for the cpds.. if I were to run a 60 gal.tank I'd run 2 200 watt heaters, they'd help each other out, a single 200 would run constantly to.maybe keep 76, ich happens.. needs 86... something to always consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

no you are basing your opinion off of your house temp. being 64 degrees. It's cold here too, It was below zero here today, but that doesn't mean my house is that cold. Most people keep their thermostat at 68-72 degrees. How do I know this? It's what I do for a living. I have a 72 gallon tank with a 250 watt heater and it works perfectly, my heater does not run constantly. Maybe if i kept my house at 63 degrees then it would. It holds 78 just fine, and I have had to bump the heat once before for ich with no issues. If you don't want ich quarantine your new fish and you will never have that issue.

no you are basing your opinion off of your house temp. being 64 degrees. It's cold here too, It was below zero here today, but that doesn't mean my house is that cold. Most people keep their thermostat at 68-72 degrees. How do I know this? It's what I do for a living. I have a 72 gallon tank with a 250 watt heater and it works perfectly, my heater does not run constantly. Maybe if i kept my house at 63 degrees then it would

I'm basing my own personal experience on my own personal experience.. i have forced got water on a 3rd floor apt... sometimes it's a little behind.. rads are loud so we turn them down at night. It's just how it goes here.. all I'm saying is that the heater should be selected based on top dramatic temp swings in your room.. and by the way we're not having a debate because you win.. you're right. High five!!!

I know I'm right..2 250 watt heaters do not belong on a 60 gallon tank end of story.

Your entitled to keep your heat at whatever you choose, but that won't be the "norm" for most people. We can both agree that its based off your room temp tho, lets leave it at that

Sorry op, these things do occur from time to time.. internet and all..

LOL came home and checked my notifications and a MAJOR heater debate was going. To funny!! Now that thats over with, Ive decided that for now I'm unfortunately gonna have to wait on the holey rock, as its to expensive! I was looking for a piece that was about 15 inches tall and they were anywhere from $60-$200 for a SINGLE rock! Might just have to buy more slate and focus on a cool look with that.

Do the slate or river rock and throw a few fake holey rocks from petsmart. Then when funds permit slowly change it out.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do the slate or river rock and throw a few fake holey rocks from petsmart. Then when funds permit slowly change it out.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats funny how you said that cause thats EXACTLY what I was thinking lol. I moved a couple things around already and have a good idea of what I want to do for now. I'll post pics tomorrow after I get more slate. And Id get the real holey rock, its just id rather spend that money on fish.

Thats funny how you said that cause thats EXACTLY what I was thinking lol. I moved a couple things around already and have a good idea of what I want to do for now. I'll post pics tomorrow after I get more slate. And Id get the real holey rock, its just id rather spend that money on fish.

$50 on filter $200 on rocks hmmm.....little backwards lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

$50 on filter $200 on rocks hmmm.....little backwards lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I said I changed my mind about the holey rock since its to expensive :p

I have that same tank and i have some yellow labs, yellow tail acei and demasoni.

I went with pool filter sand and bought a cheap plastic black background on Amazon for like $8, no paint necessary.

I have like a 300w heater because it was only a little more money than lower wattage heaters, but does ok. Should have gotten a 100 or 150 probably.

I got an eheim 2217 canister filter, they are like $150 but i love it. So very quiet, easy to clean and i can keep the tank close to the wall.

Good luck!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a picture of my mbuna tank.

Attachments

• 1420860167882.jpg
    1420860167882.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 75
Here's an older picture from the front.

Attachments

• 1420860376684.jpg
    1420860376684.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 77
Here's an older picture from the front.

Your tank is very nice! How are the labs and acei doing? I was considering those 2 species also? Im so eager to get mine setup, I can't stand it lol

I wasn't planning on getting acei but i got these fish from a breeder on eBay and he kind of threw in the acei to help compensate for the shipping cost. However, i do think they are a pretty fish, with an iridescent blue gray and of course yellow finnage.

Before I got them I did some research and never saw any site that listed more than a 55g minimum and surprisingly a few that even listed 40g (which seems small for any mbuna). Since then I've heard a few people on this forum suggest bigger. For me they seem ok in the 60, but I can can certainly appreciate trust bigger is better. I really don't have any aggression issues, but haven't started breeding yet. I got these fish in April as fry so they are about 10 months old.

Size- wise I'd say my acei are about 3.5-4" right now, yellow labs 2.5-3.5" and demasoni 1.5-2.5". So the acei are only a little longer than the labs.

Your tank is very nice! How are the labs and acei doing? I was considering those 2 species also? Im so eager to get mine setup, I can't stand it lol

It is definitely hard waiting! I didn't read all the thread but hopefully you have started your fishless cycle already? Takes a little while, but definitely the way to go.

It is definitely hard waiting! I didn't read all the thread but hopefully you have started your fishless cycle already? Takes a little while, but definitely the way to go.

I wish I've started my cycle! I haven't even filled the tank yet because I have to wait for the room its in to get repainted, which is taking longer than it should. Hopefully I can fill it in the next 3-5 days!

Heres an updated hardscape picture. I got more rock. It's slowly coming along!

88553-albums14240-picture68108.jpg

It's hard with the 12" depth. Here's the background i have, it's double sided, blue. on one side black on the other, and its stiff enough I just slide it behind the tank:

9092 24" x 60" Fish Tank Background 2 Sided Blue Sea/Black Deep Sea:Amazon:pet Supplies

Ya I always accidentally bang the glass with the rocks. I need some more height, but its hard to find a way to stack them up tall. And ok cool, I'm definitely going to order that, my diy trash bag doesn't look very good lol

Back
Top Bottom