60 gallon lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caf2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i want to start growing plants in my tank and i dont know what light fixture i should get. Ive seen the big thing is t5HO bulbs but i just wanted some suggestions on fixtures.
My petsmart has a dual bulb fixture and i have two marineland single bulb hoods and a 21 in. led strip but i dont think that setup will cut it for most plants.

Lighting Your 60 G Tank

i want to start growing plants in my tank and i dont know what light fixture i should get. Ive seen the big thing is t5HO bulbs but i just wanted some suggestions on fixtures.
My petsmart has a dual bulb fixture and i have two marineland single bulb hoods and a 21 in. led strip but i dont think that setup will cut it for most plants.

Hello caf...

Lighting a larger tank isn't going to be cheap. I have a 55 G that's 48 inches long and I use two single bulb strips, Perfecto has a good light strip. The cost would be about $120.00, but the bulbs can be picked up at the local hardware stores. GE has a pretty good aquarium plant bulb for about $10.00 each for a 6500K, T8 or T12. Two would give you up to 80 watts of florescent light that would easily last a year.

Provided you keep plants that require subdued light, you could have a nicely planted tank for a relatively low price.

B

Back
Top Bottom