6700K vs 10000K for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found a good source for inexpensive PC lightbulbs on Ebay... but they only carry 10000K bulbs in the 96w, square pin config that I need. I emailed the seller to ask if they ever had any 6700K bulbs and they said no, they weren't popular enough to carry, and that the 10000K bulbs would be fine for plants. I'm not convinced.... opinions? I currently have 2x96 watt 6700K over a 55 gal which is more than enough light.

I cant give any advice on the kelvin rating for plants but if its any help I had a single 10k pc on a ten gallon planted tank. It was about 3wpg no co2 and the plants where growing like weeds. Would have to trim them about once a week. Had some anacharis and sword along with a few others mixed in that I got from my buddy. Wasn't using any special plant substrate either. I used some left over sand from my reef tank that was sitting in a five gallon bucket in the garage. It was a quick slap together tank setup for seeing how my green thumb was before the investment into a complete setup for a larger one. After a few months I had so much plant growth that I ended up tearing the tank down because it was turning into a jungle. Could be just a fluk or dumb luck it went as well as it did. HTH

I do think though that your right 6700k is the standard light for plants over 10k

I too formerly possessed two 10k bulbs on my 75g. The plants that were in there did well (long, fast growing stem plants...even L. repens). I upgraded to the current 7850K when I got the 110w CF light strip a couple of months ago. This was to improve the overall look of the tank (10K has more blue). Since you are interested in low-light, this is fine.

On my 26G I have a 65W 50/50 bulb, half actinic and half 10000k, and my plants are doing just fine. The java moss is doing great too.

Back
Top Bottom