75 gallon community stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
have a cycled 75 gallon that used to have cichlids but im wanting to switch over to community fish. I have a large peice of drift wood and a couple realistic fake plants and a sand bottom. Now the fish I like are -

Cherry barbs
Tiger barbs
Guppies
Angels
BN Plecos
Cories
Cherry shrimp
Harlequin Tetras
Neon tetras
Gourami
German Blue Ram
And thats it. Do you guys think you could help me out with a stocking list? Thanks :) I have 2 AquaClear 110's and a canister for filtration.

The barbs would shred the fins of the angel.

GBR have a low survival rate. Angels don't go well with gourami. (Unless they are dwarf). The cherry shrimp might get eaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont wanna put them all in there. I was just giving some suggestions on what I like.

Corys like being in schools off 6 or more same with the other schooling fish. You could try bolivan rams they are lot more hardy. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399229209.228857.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399229262.842673.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399229356.101982.jpg here is a few pics of mine. They are still juveniles.

How about this -
8 Cherry barbs
2 Bolivian Ram
1 BN Pleco
4 Cories
6 Guppies
1 Gourami?
And what else could i do? Angels?

1 Gourami?

That sounds like it would be good. U could probably do a single angel since the cherry barbs aren't too bad at fun nipping, or harlequin Rasboras instead of the barbs too? If you want a gourami is suggest a dwarf if your going to have an angelfish. If u decide on harlequins maybe 8-10?

How about this -
8 Cherry barbs
2 Bolivian Ram
1 BN Pleco
4 Cories
6 Guppies
1 Gourami?
And what else could i do? Angels?

1 Gourami?

What kind of gourami were you looking at? I would say you are fine for a single angel in there as well if you are willing to sub out the guppies for something else. Angels and gouramis are hit or miss, so keep that mind, but in general, if you just have a single of each, they have a good chance of being fine. Just be aware that if it doesn't work out, you may have to trade in a fish. But hey, most local fish stores will give you some trade-in credit for a larger angel or gourami. If you are looking at a dwarf gourami, it will probably be fine. The pearl gourami is another fun one to look into. They are gorgeous. You coudl do a trio of pearl gouramis and forego an angel too. Lots of options. :)
I would do more than 4 cories. You have a lot of bottom space in a 75g, I would more like 8. They are great fun to watch, and definitely cooler in bigger groups anyways.

What kind of gourami were you looking at? I would say you are fine for a single angel in there as well if you are willing to sub out the guppies for something else. Angels and gouramis are hit or miss, so keep that mind, but in general, if you just have a single of each, they have a good chance of being fine. Just be aware that if it doesn't work out, you may have to trade in a fish. But hey, most local fish stores will give you some trade-in credit for a larger angel or gourami. If you are looking at a dwarf gourami, it will probably be fine. The pearl gourami is another fun one to look into. They are gorgeous. You coudl do a trio of pearl gouramis and forego an angel too. Lots of options. :)

I would do more than 4 cories. You have a lot of bottom space in a 75g, I would more like 8. They are great fun to watch, and definitely cooler in bigger groups anyways.

I definitely agree with having more cories and if you don't have your heart set on an angel, I'd have to agree with getting the pearl gourami's. I've had them and their by far my favorite gourami! And usually only get to about 4" I believe. I'd suggest shying away from blue gourami's and the like tho, I've had them also many years ago and mine got to about 6", more on the aggressive side tho too. But yes, pearls are more docile and very beautiful!

Okay how about this? -
10 Cherry Barbs
6 Cories
1 BN Pleco (Im having algae problems)
1 Honey Gourami
Anything else I could add or change?

Back
Top Bottom