75gal planted log (Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had this stuff show up in my aquariums when I've neglected them for awhile. Once I stepped the maintenance back up and got everything back in balance it goes away for the most part. I doubt that it's LED lights causing it, but it's worth a try to turn them off for a couple weeks to see if it makes any difference.

well, it seemed like an odd idea to me too, but looking at my rotala rotundifolia, this stuff only grows on it exactly where the LED hits it directly. My amazon sword is also directly illuminated by one of the LED's. Most of the stuff that is outside the direct light of the LED's is either barely affected or has no algae at all. I'll take your suggestion and shut off the moonlights for a couple weeks, and I suppose if that doesn't do it then I'll have to fiddle with my dosing.

do you have a drop checker to check CO2 levels?

That would be my 1st step, then look at dosing

No, I haven't yet gotten around to getting a kH and gH test kit yet...plus I'm about 90% sure my API master kit has expired. I put a full teaspoon of nitrate in a small cup of water and tested and my readings only came out to 30ppm. All my tanks test 0ppm, even my turtle tank after 2 weeks of no water changes. Are these things supposed to expire after 6 months?

yeah there is a "lot number" on all of the bottles at the top of the label

the last 4 digits are for a date, like mine says "0407" meaning April 2007

The Nitrate test is the one that seems to go bad 1st, there are a couple posts on here somewhere where email from API talks about things with the test.

Basically, shake the nitrate bottle #2 really really well for awhile, and try the test again. If it doesnt work better then its prob no good

well I went medieval on my #2 bottle for a good 2 or 3 minutes, my arms are tired, but I'm now getting a nitrate reading, looks like I'm at about 30 ppm nitrate at the beginning of the light cycle a couple hours after dosing. That makes me happy, I was beginning to think maybe mr rex grigg sent me a bag of table salt labeled nitrate. haha

for some reason my rotala rotundifolia went crazy tonight and is pearling like mad. Kinda neat.
stuff010.jpg

Update time! Overall, things are going well. Plants are filling in nicely, still have a bit of hair algae in places, but it's not bad....and of course, here's a picture for you!

tank001.jpg

I really like how this is filling in. The time you spent aquascaping is really showing as the plants are growing in.

Thanks guys! as always, I'm open to any suggestions....and I mean any. I may be too lazy/stubborn to carry them out...but that's another matter

Looking good!!

I have a suggestion, pack your tank stuff up and I'll be down tomorrow to pick it up:rolleyes: LOL

Looking good!!

I have a suggestion, pack your tank stuff up and I'll be down tomorrow to pick it up:rolleyes: LOL

Yes, I hadn't considered this option. The ultimate low maintenance tank...just give it to someone else to take care of...All I ask is that you bring along a 72" 1080p flat panel TV and hook it up to a webcam so I can watch my tank. haha

Sweet. Man, are those the kids of H. polysperma "Sunset" , L. repens, and R. rotundifolia you started out with a few years ago? I'll bet this one fills in very nicely.

I'd bet you could kick the hair algae with a little more plant mass. What about floating or weighing down some H. difformis/Wisteria or some other fast grower until the bushes and layout fills in?

Back
Top Bottom