8 dead fish in 2 days. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We take out about 25 to 30 percent of the water when we change. Guess we will start doing water changes more often.

First off if you can't get your own liquid test I would take a water sample to a different LFS to have them test it. The nitrate test is easy to mess up and someone that isn't familiar with the directions can mess it up (I even mess it up occasionally)

We take out about 25 to 30 percent of the water when we change. Guess we will start doing water changes more often.

That sounds like a good idea. I do a weekly change every Sunday. That makes it easy to build it into my routine, less likely that I forget.
Fish like consistency so doing a change at regular intervals like that will help keep things stable.

Have you added any fish lately? Could be a disease problem here. If your water parameters are as low as the tests suggested (if they were accurate that is) then there is obviously something else going on here.

We got the 2 electric blue ram and the 2 swordtails 2 weeks ago today

We got the 2 electric blue ram and the 2 swordtails 2 weeks ago today

It's possible these fish may have brought a problem pathogen in. Bacteria, flagellates, virus possibly. Problem is, detecting what the problem is when there are no obvious signs.

Has there been any reddening of the skin/fins/mouth etc? Any fish 'flicking' against objects as if itching? Any fish 'spinning' in the water? Excessive slime production/white or pale patches?

Infections of white spot (Ich) can cause mortalities before any white spots are seen. Flukes could be a problem too.

Just a few suggestions - any more info about behaviour you may have observed?

It's possible these fish may have brought a problem pathogen in. Bacteria, flagellates, virus possibly. Problem is, detecting what the problem is when there are no obvious signs. Has there been any reddening of the skin/fins/mouth etc? Any fish 'flicking' against objects as if itching? Any fish 'spinning' in the water? Excessive slime production/white or pale patches? Infections of white spot (Ich) can cause mortalities before any white spots are seen. Flukes could be a problem too. Just a few suggestions - any more info about behaviour you may have observed?
1 of the rummys had a red patch next to the tail fin There's currently 2 mollies look like they are about to die. 1 is just lying on the bottom tipping sideways. And the other 1 is keep going upside down and crashing into everything

I am certainly no expert but does anyone think this could be nitrate poisoning? With a maintenance level of a WC every 4-6 weeks, nitrates HAVE to be going up in the tank at a pretty steady rate
Aquarium Fish Disease Nitrate Poisoning

Symptoms:

• Loss of appetite
  • Fish become listless
  • Fish experience loss of equilibrium
  • Fish lay at bottom of tank
  • Rapid gill movement
  • Fish curl head to tail (advanced stages)
If nitrates have risen slowly over time, it is not unusual for only one or two fish to exhibit symptoms initially. Unless water tests are performed, there is no apparent reason for the why the fish mysteriously became ill. If nitrate levels are not reduced, more fish will show symptoms. Eventually fish death will begin occurring over a period of a few days to a few weeks.

It could certainly be a pathogen...2 weeks sounds like the kind of time frame for something to flair up. On the other hand, until you eliminate water problems by doing another test, it's just another unknown.

Another possibility is that fish are more susceptible to disease if they are already stressed. So if there is a problem with water quality, they might get sick more easily...:-(

Back
Top Bottom