800 gallon L - Shape Custom Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey guys,

Almost at the finish line!

Picked up 500lbs of live rock today from a marine fish store going out of biz.

Major savings.

since I am a salt water noob I am unsure what to do with the live rock now?

From what I've read, some people suggest to scrub it down and "cure it" for up to 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?

right now I have it in a few large Rubbermaid bins immersed in salt water with heaters .

audifusion said:
hey guys,

Almost at the finish line!

Picked up 500lbs of live rock today from a marine fish store going out of biz.

Major savings.

since I am a salt water noob I am unsure what to do with the live rock now?

From what I've read, some people suggest to scrub it down and "cure it" for up to 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?

right now I have it in a few large Rubbermaid bins immersed in salt water with heaters .

You can use the die off to your advantage because it will start an ammonia spike which will get your cycle started. I would fill the tank now with SW and sand then aquascape. Wait 12-24hrs then test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph. You want your ammonia to be 4ppm. If it isn't, go buy pure ammonia and add until ammonia is 4ppm. I'd say 4-5 cap full would bring it up 1 ppm

Have you done a water test yet?
I would definitely fill the tank with plain old tap water first to make sure it all holds. don't want to dump all that nice expensive saltwater all over the place if it fails.
I use Dow 995 for work a lot and that stuff is incredible at holding.

FishEggs said:
Have you done a water test yet?
I would definitely fill the tank with plain old tap water first to make sure it all holds. don't want to dump all that nice expensive saltwater all over the place if it fails.
I use Dow 995 for work a lot and that stuff is incredible at holding.

had tap water in for two weeks !

Used Dow 995 , twelve tubes to be exact.

I'll admit I was pretty nervous filling the tank. I have put alot of time into the project both mentally and physically.

you guys on here are a great help

To answer your question I have not tested the water yet,

added 400 gallons worth of salt today, adding the rest tomorrow

I say get your salt where you need it. Around 1.025 or so. Get temp around 78 and get rock in and start cycling. Sooner the cycle the sooner your tank gets some life.

Can we see some pics behind the scenes? I love to see the tank room and all the plumbing. Water change setup? Mixing tanks. Sump. All that. Love that part of our hobby

All the rock is in there now.

had to put on my swim shorts and snorkel gear an have my wife pass me the rocks.

I still have to work out the layout of the rocks though.

What's the best way to aquascape?

audifusion said:
All the rock is in there now.

had to put on my swim shorts and snorkel gear an have my wife pass me the rocks.

I still have to work out the layout of the rocks though.

What's the best way to aquascape?

Large rocks on bottom For support then stack the med rocks at the middle then smaller rocks at the back and top

That just sounds like fun..lol. You should let us know what you think monthly upkeep is gonna cost you

Currently I'm not sure about monthly costs just associated with the tank. But will give an update when I have an idea.

It cost over $300.00 to turn 950 gallons of regular water into an instant ocean.

More questions!

To stack the rocks should I drill holes in each rock and secure them to each other with dowelling?

I would secure the heck out of them with the pile your going to have in that tank for sure. Zip ties, dowels, pvc, fishing line... anything to hold stuff in place and not been seen.

You can glue your rocks together, there's stuff available especially for aquarium use. It might be better than have a load of ties in there.

Another thing you could do is make structures out of PVC and stack rock around them.

shes going to cost you alot thats for sure, my guess is yearly upkeep with be in the multi thousands range, thats just water changes, dosing, filters, media, lamps. your bills with probably cost atleast 3000 extra on electricity.

i would have made a tank like that a fish only system, the upkeep o na reef that big is a bloat load of money, either that or i would only make one side of it a reef and leave the other side just FOWLR so you don't have huge power draws from lighting a whole tank.

Gti_Leo said:
shes going to cost you alot thats for sure, my guess is yearly upkeep with be in the multi thousands range, thats just water changes, dosing, filters, media, lamps. your bills with probably cost atleast 3000 extra on electricity.

i would have made a tank like that a fish only system, the upkeep o na reef that big is a bloat load of money, either that or i would only make one side of it a reef and leave the other side just FOWLR so you don't have huge power draws from lighting a whole tank.

I think your pricing estimates are way high. Initial setup will be spendy but yearly costs should not be THAT bad.

Back
Top Bottom