800 gallon L - Shape Custom Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't personally but had that same question this week struggling with the POS that I have now. Google it and there are some nice build threads. Skimmers are all about the pump (and impellar) and ability to be adjusted (good valves) from what I've come to understand.

more liek a skimmer is about the bubbles, you can get a great skimmer out of a venturi/pinwheel or nothing beats the bubble production of a limewood, only thing that sucks abotu a limewood skimmer is the woods need to be cleaned every few weeks.

but those ne bubble blaster pumps that octpus has are killer

Dwell time is also important, how long the bubbles are in contact with the water. My old skimmer was 5' tall, now with modern design you get that effect with a far smaller unit.

they say at a certain height that the skimemr becomes useless, stubby skimmers seem to work the best, but yeah contact time bubble size and amount of bubbles is what makes a good skimmer, also the flow of bubbles into the cup makes a good skimmer, but the bottom line is more bubbles makes for more contact with the water and more surface area for organics to stick to.

this is a great episode of LA fish guys where they speak with one of the owners and designers at reef dynamics about skimmers

Any opinions on gravity fed external skimmers?

My initial concern is the skimmer not being able to handle the flow from the overflows resulting in a flood.

but a plus would be no additional pump.

Also,

Has anyone used the ultima cyclonic filters on a saltwater set up?

I've seen people using them on freshwater tanks.

I'm keeping track on the other side of the world. Anxious to see more development. Also great to see your wife excited about this tank too. I have a small 35g tank in my office. I doubt I'll be able to have even that at home.

just finished some aquascaping,

Was in there for about an hour then had to get out because my snorkel mask was pretty uncomfortable against the bridge of my nose, water was pretty warm though.

Saw a couple odd looking creatures on some of the rocks.

think I'm probably about half way done the aquascaping part.

Will post up some pics once the water clears up a bit more, and will get some opinions on how it looks.

What I've done so far is put most of the rocks at the back against the glass where the overflows are and create as many caves, overhangs and crevices as I can.

i don't know if i read it but how much rock do you have in there and is it all live or did you get some dry rock?

Gti_Leo said:
i don't know if i read it but how much rock do you have in there and is it all live or did you get some dry rock?

All live except for a 40 lb dry stalactite ,just shy of 600 lbs total.

some pics I what I've done with the rock so far.

Attachments

• image-2773419607.jpg
    image-2773419607.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 848
  • image-4171461706.jpg
    image-4171461706.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 853
  • image-2984244095.jpg
    image-2984244095.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 836
Really I think he can right it all off on taxes too. I was goin to put one in my restaurant but I ran out of room. Stupid salad bar

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom