90g triggerfish only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeadGame

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently setting up 90g (bought on Craigslist) saltwater FOWLR. Just finished removing the calcium off Tank/skimmer/refugium. Currently I am in the process of disinfecting with bleach. Goal: 3 Triggerfish... Possibly the slower growers such as bursa, lunula and huma/Picasso. What do you think?

I tried 3 triggers once and it ended in utter disaster. It was in a 100 gallon tank and I went with the wrong triggers: Clown, Undulated, and Picasso.

With that said, there are some species that are considered a bit more docile like the Niger, Pink Tail, Blue Throat, and Cross Hatch. But I believe that even the more docile Triggers can have a personality that wants to wreak havoc based on the individual. You might want to consider one trigger and some other tough fish like a puffer, and a Snow Flake Eel.

Consequently, if I was to have one trigger it would be an Assassi. They don't pop up too often, but they are more vibrant and have a more "Submarine" shape than a Picasso.

Thanks for your continued input!!!! I was told that Clowns are def. a "no no" due to being so aggressive.

The Niger and Pink Tail are too big IMO. The Blue Throat isn't as attractive to me and the Cross Hatch is too expensive. However i really like your idea of one trigger a puffer (I like the dogface) , and a Snow Flake Eel. I just read that the eel can get 2ft long! Do you think the 90g is sufficient?

I too like the Assasi. What's your opinion on the Lei, Bursa and Lunula?

Last edited:
As for trigs, the most docile are: Odonus niger (Niger), Rhinecanthus spp. (Assasi is personal fave), Melichthys vidua (Pink-tail), and Xanthichthys spp. (Sargassum is my secong fave of trigs). I do love Lei's, but they can get a tad more aggressive as they age (ugh, elders). In general all the trigs mentioned attain about the same size of around 12", some larger. Being that trigs can be pitbulls of the reef I'd recommend just 1 in a 90g unless you can salve an honest pair. As for puffers, Arothron spp. all get about 12" as well while others achieve much larger and do need 125g+ as "starter" tank size. If you MUST risk 2 trigs, I am fond of Rhinecanthus spp. and Xanthichthys spp.

May just pick two of the three and go with 1 puffer and 1 snowflake. I'm also starting to show interest in the wrasse. Id like to have a variety. Even more I'd like to have them all!!!

Back
Top Bottom