A fish that eats plants animals and algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monk: Oh okay thanks ^^ Are you talking about Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad? I've heard very good things about the book, but the overall idea / plan seems to be readily available online, and the book, as you said, is rather pricey, so I don't plan on actually purchasing it. However if you're talking about a different book I'd love to see it! Thanks again :)

Matt: I've considered goldfish but as Mebbid pointed out, they get too large and demand too much from such a small system.

Micey: Oh okay, thank you for your advice, i'll stay clear of them in that case, as well as high PH fish in general. I didn't realize the PH of the water affected how toxic ammonia was O.O

pH in the aquarium won't bother plants in the low 8s. I've kept plants in that pH level for quite a long time and most that you will commonly run into in the aquarium trade couldn't care less if your pH is that high. Ammonia toxicity and pH should also never ever be an issue in an established tank so that's another thing that you shouldn't have to worry about assuming you aren't going to do a fish in cycle. However, following that I mentioned that Mbuna aren't suited to an aquarium that size already and most other Africans need the same size or larger tank.

If you care to see the effects of ammonia and pH
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

I'm thinking that a single betta or dwarf gourami along with a very healthy colony of shrimp would be your best bet. Combining that with a lot of plants and the shrimp should be able to keep a fish fed quite easily.

I'm thinking that a single betta or dwarf gourami along with a very healthy colony of shrimp would be your best bet. Combining that with a lot of plants and the shrimp should be able to keep a fish fed quite easily.

Oh, you really think the tank could only support a single fish? In addition to the shrimp there will be scuds, daphnia, black worms, as well as other sources of food such as plants and algae. Does that change anything? I was planning to have at least 4 small fish at the least

pH in the aquarium won't bother plants in the low 8s. I've kept plants in that pH level for quite a long time and most that you will commonly run into in the aquarium trade couldn't care less if your pH is that high. Ammonia toxicity and pH should also never ever be an issue in an established tank so that's another thing that you shouldn't have to worry about assuming you aren't going to do a fish in cycle. However, following that I mentioned that Mbuna aren't suited to an aquarium that size already and most other Africans need the same size or larger tank.

If you care to see the effects of ammonia and pH
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

Oh okay. Thank you, i'll definitely check that out!

Yes, that's the book, but it went down in price.... I really liked this review of the book. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...w-ecology-planted-aquarium-diana-walstad.html

I noticed there's a kindle edition that's a tad cheaper. ( But, not sure if it is current edition) http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DB94K5I?pc_redir=1404566004&robot_redir=1

( Glad you knew the name, I forgot both the author and the title; just remembered I debated about buying it, but took a pass in favor of a fish disease book and generic aquatic plant book.)

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Oh okay, thank you. I read the review, and I think I might buy the book now, but i'm still not positive. This aquarium in general is already looking to be a pretty expensive project...

Oh, you really think the tank could only support a single fish? In addition to the shrimp there will be scuds, daphnia, black worms, as well as other sources of food such as plants and algae. Does that change anything? I was planning to have at least 4 small fish at the least

Otos should be fine since they won't compete for food sources. But you really never know how a tank like this is going to act until you get a fish in it. I would say start at one fish and at the very soonest add another every other week.

Oh okay, thank you! But If I have ottos, won't they be taking away food from other things like snails and shrimp and such?

Snails yes, however they don't need much to live off of. But shrimp don't live off of bio film so it shouldn't matter to them.

Would there be enough algae to support them in a walstad style aquarium? That is, one designed such that the plants outcompete algae?

Back
Top Bottom