A Platy variety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone tell me what's the English name for the Platy variety that's got a yellow body and black fins (and also a bit of black on the head)? I just bought 3 of them today, and I only know the Finnish name, which I'm sure doesn't translate directly :lol:

While looking online, I found names such as "Yellow Wag" and "Golden Wagtail" that sound like what I have (but they didn't have pictures). They have a pale yellow body, almost translucent, and all the fins are black. The biggest one of them also has black "lips" :lol:. At the store (where they breed their own platies), I also saw a couple of fish that were just yellow, with yellow fins also, and they were from the same batch of fry. I haven't been able to find a single image online, and don't have a digital camera with me right now.

It's odd because I have 5 platies, all of which were in a tank labeled "Red Wag" at the LFS. Upon closer inspection, though, they are all quite different. One is a deep red-orange, with translucent fins/tail; one is a light yellow with translucent fins/tail. The other 3 are a yellow-orange with black fins/tails/lips.

I think the different platy varieties interbreed so much that it may be difficult to find and pinpoint platies specifically based on their colors. The only ones that seem very distinguishable are the Mickey Mouse platies and the ones with higher tails and fins.

It's not a Mickey Mouse Platy. I've been looking for pictures online, and can find them on any other variety but this one :lol:. I know it's a variety of its own, because there is a specific Finnish name for it, and it's clearly different from Red Wag or Sunset Platies, for example. Oh well :lol: I'll just have to try to get pics of my own as soon as I get a digital camera in my hands.

My guess eould be that they are either a yellow wagtail platy or a golden wagtail platy, but without a picture it is hard to say what they are for sure.

myriam wrote:
Also, maybe Platylover will pop in here...he/she knows everything about them!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Myriam, but I am sure that I don't know Everything about them. LOL

Thank you, platylover! That makes sense to me :) I just realised today the Finnish name only contains the "wagtail" part, but not the the specific color (red, yellow, or golden). I didn't know where the word "wagtail" in English came from :lol:. I'd guess they'd be called Yellow Wagtail, but I could imagine them being called Golden Wagtail, as well. I will get some pictures for you some day soon when I get to borrow a digital camera :). I'd never seen this color variety before, and was intrigued to choose it over the Red Wagtails and such, thinking it's not as common :).

Back
Top Bottom