A small frog or lizard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I have always wanted a snake for some odd reason. I have had adfs in the past and an eel at the moment but I want a land pet this time. I have seen a lot of the same vivariums for sale it's decent and is around 5 gallons. I know the basics to keeping them as my uncle and cousins keep them and I enjoy helping look after them. So I was thinking about getting one at Christmas but I want a small one that would be happy with the size of tank it's going in? I will do A LOT of research before I decide to get any suggestions and also a lot of research after :D So suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance! :flowers:

A pacman frog would be perfect. They are hardy, need little space (even though they get rather large), are easy to find, and are pretty cheap.

My brother had fire belly toads a few years ago. They're small and I don't think they need a ton of room. I don't know much about them but they were pretty cool.

Thanks guys!!

A pacman frog would be perfect. They are hardy, need little space (even though they get rather large), are easy to find, and are pretty cheap.

You being serious?!?! I know a pacman for sale the people said nobody wanted him and he has been there for a while.. Hmm now I just need to wait another month.

Pacman frogs don't need much space because they seldom move. They just sit motionless and wait for something edible to come along.

But then again I have always loved dart frogs, hmm, which do you guys think is better?

Dart frogs are very demanding, sensitive, and require small, hard to find/grow foods (except for the largest species). Pacmans can sit in a critter keeper on the shelf (as long as the room isn't too cool), will eat almost anything that moves or that you move in front of it, and is about as hardy as amphibians come.

Looks like a pacman then, he might might going in a 10 gallon instead, decisions decisions.

I suggest a small, easy to clean setup. The best substrate is actually wet paper towels. Many people like to use shredded coconut bark, but this forces them to sit in their own waste. When you see how fast paper towels turn yellow you will see what I mean. Gravel is not an option either, they can swallow it and become impacted.

Dart frogs are usually fed wingless fruit flies, no more difficult to culture/maintain than microworms IMO. You can also put together a very attractive terrarium environment for them with live plants, which I find more appealing than a bare tank.
In any case, check out a couple of amphibian forums to see what your options are and get a better idea of what's involved.

Last edited:
Thanks again :) I'm going to think about it a lot before I decide.

The pacman at the pet store by me drops "bombs" that are dog size! They have to clean the tank after each "movement". Just something else to think about.

I had the same situation open tank and wanted a land pet in a small setup... I picked a tarantula lol just saying its cool easy to care for and a great conversation starter

Hmm, yeah I heard that lol, tarantula I do not think the cats would like that! :L

Back
Top Bottom