AA Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corvuscorax said:
I'll be rooting and cheering for you guys (while lazily snacking on garlic knots).

So that's what you do when the boss makes you work on a Saturday? :mrgreen:

Of course, I mean...that and having AA to comfort me is the price any decent employer would pay to have at least a non-belligerent employee in on a Saturday just because some idiot made a plan and didn't really care who or what was impacted...... :wink:

If you bring cash your good to go. I understand we can have a group as large as 25 and we are well under that limit right now. Just need to bring your funds for the admission. DC and Balt are close and the exact driving time will depend more on traffic than distance.

In finalizing our travil plans I looked at the aquarium calendar and these are the aquarium related events going on the day of our trip. Probably wont be able to take advantage of these events but just nice to know what else is going on.

Digging Into Fossils
Southern Maryland Time Trip
Saturday, May 21, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Ages: 6 to Adult

There was a time when great white sharks were as big as school buses and scallops were the size of dinner plates. These animals and many others once lived in what is now the Chesapeake Bay, and their fossil remains can be found on southern Maryland beaches. Travel back in time and discover some fossils for yourself -- sharks' teeth, shells, and maybe even an Ecphora (the Maryland state fossil). Van transportation to and from the National Aquarium in Baltimore and entrance fees are included in the price. You should bring a picnic lunch, snacks, plenty of liquids, and shoes that can get wet. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Reservations are required/space is limited/call 410-727-3474 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Call for information if you are interested in meeting the van at the destination.

$35 members, $55 non-members

Code: FOSSIL-E

Aquarist Career Workshop
The Fish People

Saturday, May 21, 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Ages: 14 to 18

The people who take care of the fish in the Aquarium galleries are called "aquarists." These animal professionals must have expert skills, vast amounts of knowledge, and a love for the creatures of the oceans. If you are interested in this type of career, you can find out about the job requirements, college internship opportunities, and good career resources. You will learn about animal health and the importance of water quality. This program does not include Aquarium admission. You will need comfortable clothing and non-skid shoes. Reservations are required/space is limited/call 410-727-3474 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

$22 members, $30 non-members

Code: CAREER-E

Dive In For A New Adventure
Diver's Certification Program

Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (includes pool and classroom sessions) and
Saturday, June 4 and Sunday, June 5, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (at Lake Rawlings, Virginia for certification dives)
Ages: 16 to Adult

This course will fully certify you as a scuba diver, even if you have no previous experience. This course is taught by a long-time Aquarium volunteer diver and the owner of Atlantic Edge Dive Center in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Atlantic Edge will provide all equipment necessary for the program including mask, snorkel, and fins. All class materials, textbook, DVD, and entry fees are included in the program fee. Lodging and transportation to and from Atlantic Edge Scuba and to Lake Rawlings, Virginia, are not included in the program fee. All four dates inclusive, participants must attend all classes. Reservations are required/space is limited/call 410-727-3474 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

$650 members, $695 non-members

Code: SCUBA-M [/b]

Now that we have had a few people whom have schedule conflicts and cant make it do we have a new number of expected attendiees? Those whom might not have previously said they coudl attend but plan on it if you could sound of here aswell.

We might be brining up another couple so that would be 2 additional. I am going to make sure they have their $16/each admissions money.

I printed out 30 labels with the AA logo on them. I'll bring them and a marker.
I'm looking forward to this! :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :invasion:

Now that we have had a few people whom have schedule conflicts and cant make it do we have a new number of expected attendiees?

Maybe a new thread is in order :p. Me and my wife are still going to be there. This is my first AA get together thing, anyone else as nervous as I am?

Nervous? Whats there to be nervous about? For the most part we all know eachother from online for a while. :) Look forward to being able to meet everyone whom I havent meet yet myself.

Im there! With bells on!!!
Ok... maybe not bells... but at least my camera and a clean memory card!
I might need to set up one of those picture hosting things, so I can just give everyone a link.... I tend to be a little shutter happy... :D

Shawmutt... Im kinda with you on the "nervous" thing... while its not so much nervous... Kinda an excited tension... but in a good way... I dunno...
I can say this is the first time I have ever met up with a bunch of people from online, I have never felt comfortable enough. Ya know most everyone online are *play spooky music here* well weirdos... OK OK I guess we all are weirdos, but the good ones :D

Yes, I am nervous-excited too! :multi:

Well, time to get ready to leave -- I'm going to burn a CD for the road trip and we're off! See you there! :D

Hi folks! I'm finally sure that me and my wife can make it. I have tickets waiting at the "will-call" window. Does anyone know what the parking situation is like, especially with that Preakness thing going on? Any suggestions from other Marylanders?

Parking.....
TankGirl told me there was a small lot close by, last time I was there I didnt see it. just across the street is a parking garage. Its big and very nice. A little steep in price, but seems pretty safe.

I plan on parking at the parking deck thats in walking distance from the aquarium. We will be there hopefully before 11 so we can eat. Remember guys the entrance time for our group is 12:15pm and we need to all enter at the same time. We are asking that everyone be at the front of the aquarium at 12:00 or before. Many of us will have AA garments or other forms of AA identification. Others have shaired cell-phone numbers for easy contact if someone is having a hard time finding things. Given the entrance time I suggest you eat before hand. Some folks at one point had talked about meeting someplace to eat before aswell.

I look forward to meeting everyon etommorow. The weather looks like it will be in the low 70's. I dont think the preakness will be to much bother. But when in doubt leave early in case of traffic jams toward downtown.

I had to set up a photo hosting site so the pics I will be taking dont fill up my space on here...
Just to make sure I did everything right heres a test run...

http://www.photolocker.net/gallery.php?u=Melody&g=Baltimore-Aquarium

These are pics that were taken last year there. Because I had a really cruddy digi cam then, I couldnt manage any good shots of the fish due to low light. But I got a couple of dolphin shots, enjoy and expect some much better photos in a few days.

Peer 5 parking on Pratt street is a nice parking garage and it's close. Have fun everyone. Can't wait for pics. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom