About to throw in the towel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say kill the aptasia first. Then remove as much possible hair algae. Next get a good cuc (sea hare, conchs, large turbo snails, etc.) and if you want you could even get a algae blenny.

Ok guys, I am going to give it a shot. I have read all of your comments and I am about to start trying to solve this problem.
Turbo Snails. I had four of them, but they all died. Any idea why?
I am going to cut back my feeding to two or three days a week. I am only going to feed them a few pellets or the freezer food. What is better? I have both.
Here is a new problem. My salt is hard as rock. I am going to open a new batch, I bought it in bulk, but how can I keep this from happening again?
Someone asked about my hYdor Koralia Circulation and wave Pump. I do have two of them. They are each 425 gph pumps. What is the best way to aim them? Right now they really aren't aimed any particular way other then making sure my coral frogspawn has flow.
I use Walmart Great Value Drinking Water. It's the green bottle one. It says Processed by: Reverse Osmosis. Though I might invest in a RO/DI machine. Any recommendations on one? What is the DI part of the RO/DI? Is it bad that the RO water I am buying is not DI?
I am going to buy some Aiptasia-X soon. I checked my LFS and they were sold out, so I will buy a small bottle online, or when they get it back in stock. The only thing I am worried about is I brushed off the rocks with my brush. What happens to the Aiptisa?
My tank is 29 galleons. I have a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200. I use two cartridges right now inside of it. I also have a BAK-PAK 2 Protion Skimmer. I am going to try to get them both to work with my cleaning. I will edit this and let you know how it goes.
Someone said use Cemipure instead of the filters my HOB Bio-Wheel uses. How would I do that? Do I buy some kind of refillable cartridge? Where would that be?
I am going to check all of my levels tomorrow. Today I did a throughout cleaning of my tank. Here is everything I did, and added:
I changed 10g of my fish tanks water. Took out a ton of algee and bad water. I took out my filter and cleaned that out, and also my protion skimmer. There was a ton of crap inside of both, and I got that all cleaned out. I bought new cartridges and had them waiting to go. I clean off my pumps, and heater, and thermometer.
I took out all of my live rock and tried my best to scrap off all of the algee I could. I think I got a good portion of it off, but there is def. more on there.
Here is what I ended up buying at my LFS today. Introduction my NEW Clean Up Crew! TADA!!!
Two Turbo Snails and Two Trochus Snails. They were $10 for all four. I kinda like the Trochus Snails, adds a bit of diversity to the tank.
A Tuxedo Urchin. This little guy is pretty cool, thought right now he is just chilling on my wall. I was told he likes to clean live rock down the the rock. $22 Bit pricey, you think I did ok?
A Conch. Again I was told this helps with cleaning up. Cool fella, and moves a lot faster then you would think. $10
And the master of all, the Lawnmower Blenny. This guys is fantastic! He's actually a fish right? I actually have a fish other then my two Clowns. He blends into everything so well. But I can see him starting to attack the algee already. He was $18.
As I said earlier I ended up getting 3 new filter pads. my bio wheel can handle two at a time. I also got CemiPure. It was $17 and The guy at my LFS told me to SLIT the blue part of my filter, and dump out all the black stuff inside, and refill it with the CemiPure. It seams to fit great, and it now is getting the flow it needs. I was using PhosGaurd before with a media bag, but I don't think it did much. My brother said I should being using CemiPure in one filter and then Purigen... thoughts?
With my limiting my feeding to two or three days a week, and also all this CUC I think I am going to see a world of difference. I am going to do my levels tomorrow for you guys as I want everything to kinda settle in.
Does anything in my CUC add to my bio load?
Any other advice you guys can give me?
How do you think I did with what I got? I spent $93 today.
here are photos after the clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_0035[1].jpg
    IMG_0035[1].jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0045[1].jpg
    IMG_0045[1].jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0044[1].jpg
    IMG_0044[1].jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0043[1].jpg
    IMG_0043[1].jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 139
Wow!! It's like a whole other tank! I can't help you with anything about your new CUC as I have no experience. I do know that the DI in RO/DI means distilled. When you test your levels test some of the RO water out of the jug for nitrates. The reason I was told not to use tap was because tap has nitrates and nitrates = algae. I get my water from the RODI refill station inside the grocery store for 39 cents a gallon.

WOW!!! You did a great job cleaning all that algae off!! The tank looks fantastic!! Great job picking up a diversified CUC too!! :) The banded trochus are some real work horses! They move quick and their shells are pretty and add a bit of color- I like those. Ive heard great things about the turbos, not sure why your old ones would have died, but inverts can be sensitive to water conditions. Snails do die periodically, just gotta count them every once in a while so that you're not without a CUC. Thankfully they're cheap.
The conch really can move, can't they? They look like they'd be slow like snails, but they can take big steps!! Last night my conch made it across my 55g in about 1 min! Lol. Quick little bugger! I like to watch mine, he sticks his "tongue" (or whatever it is) way out to clean the sand- kinda cool. :) and those eyes are so weird!! Lol
And that algae blenny will help loads too. And he's cute too!! The urchin adds some color and interest too, besides being a help cleaning. It really does look like a new tank!! The chemipure should help cut down on phosphates and clear up water too. I know it was all a big expense and a lot of time cleaning, but I hope you think it's all worth it. Yeah, the chemipure replaces the carbon on your filter, should be changed about every 2-3 months or so. Great job!

Beengirl said:
WOW!!! You did a great job cleaning all that algae off!! The tank looks fantastic!! Great job picking up a diversified CUC too!! :) The banded trochus are some real work horses! They move quick and their shells are pretty and add a bit of color- I like those. Ive heard great things about the turbos, not sure why your old ones would have died, but inverts can be sensitive to water conditions. Snails do die periodically, just gotta count them every once in a while so that you're not without a CUC. Thankfully they're cheap.
The conch really can move, can't they? They look like they'd be slow like snails, but they can take big steps!! Last night my conch made it across my 55g in about 1 min! Lol. Quick little bugger! I like to watch mine, he sticks his "tongue" (or whatever it is) way out to clean the sand- kinda cool. :) and those eyes are so weird!! Lol
And that algae blenny will help loads too. And he's cute too!! The urchin adds some color and interest too, besides being a help cleaning. It really does look like a new tank!! The chemipure should help cut down on phosphates and clear up water too. I know it was all a big expense and a lot of time cleaning, but I hope you think it's all worth it. Yeah, the chemipure replaces the carbon on your filter, should be changed about every 2-3 months or so. Great job!

+1 I agree

Before I bought my RO/DI system I used the Walmart water as well (0.79/gallon ). I tested it...and ordered a system that night. Have you cleaned all of your equipment? Nasty stuff builds up in there including power heads. I would blow off all my corals and rocks for any lose debris before each water change. Do you have a protein skimmer? I can't remember if you do or not. I had some algae issues a while back and couldn't figure out what was going on. Since I bought my water system, I've not had much of an issue.

Turbo Snails. I had four of them, but they all died. Any idea why?

a lot of times sudden water parameter changes will affect them they are very sensitive

example :

TEMP
SALINITY
NITRITE
NITRATE
AMMONIA

BTW, I don't how much you're paying for your water at Walmart, but I get my water at Petco in aquatics dept for 25 cents/gal. I use 5 gallon buckets that I got at Lowes for $5total for bucket and lid (they're sold separately). So it's $1.25 for a 5 gallon bucket- not bad. I know one of my other LFS around here sells RO water for 33 cents/ gallon too. They don't advertise it, you gotta ask. :)

When I bought my RO/DI system I had been looking for a while. I honestly didn't want to spend a ton on it (yes, I know the importance of it but still didn't want to!). I saw a thread on my local reef club forum of someone who had bought one from purewaterclub.com for super cheap and they had the unit for quite some time and were very pleased. Since they had a fantastic reef tank I pm'd them and asked about it. I ended up buying one for much cheaper than anyone else had them (brand new), tested it, and it has worked out great for me. Overall, I've saved money as well!

Been following the thread. You did a great job in cleaning up the tank. I know how hard it was because I just finished cleaning out an entire freshwater tank and it took three days, a whole lotta work, and it was only a 14g. But, it makes you feel so good, so proud. I'm glad to see that you're feeling better about the tank and yourself. You were so discouraged, but with the help of all these good people on the forums, you're back. You did it. And you're proud. Keep listening to everybody and use the best info you get, keep up with the PWC, and, although this will not be the last of the problems (it never is no matter what the subject), I feel you are strong enough to come back from frustration to solve the problem. Good luck with your beautiful tank.:dance:

Very impressive!!!! I am really glad you are sticking with it, looks solo much better already. A little correction. The "DI" in RO/DI means deionized, not distilled. We bought our unit from simply h2o, but someone mentioned a unit on a thread for less than 100.

Looks like your on your way back and everything you added today will help. In regards to the turbo snails, they at from cooler waters and sensitive to water parameters. Sometimes they just expire. Keep on eye on them and count every few days.

Good luck and awaiting updates!!!!

Rosesrblu1 said:
Very impressive!!!! I am really glad you are sticking with it, looks solo much better already. A little correction. The "DI" in RO/DI means deionized, not distilled. We bought our unit from simply h2o, but someone mentioned a unit on a thread for less than 100.

Looks like your on your way back and everything you added today will help. In regards to the turbo snails, they at from cooler waters and sensitive to water parameters. Sometimes they just expire. Keep on eye on them and count every few days.

Good luck and awaiting updates!!!!

+1 on deionized, not distilled

Just an FYI. DI stands for deionized. Also the urchin eats coraline algae not hair, green, or brown. Keep up the good work, tanks looking good!

Wow!! It's like a whole other tank! I can't help you with anything about your new CUC as I have no experience. I do know that the DI in RO/DI means distilled. When you test your levels test some of the RO water out of the jug for nitrates. The reason I was told not to use tap was because tap has nitrates and nitrates = algae. I get my water from the RODI refill station inside the grocery store for 39 cents a gallon.

Be careful of the RO water from the grocery store machines (it's only RO not RO/DI). I had been running my tank at 0 nitrates for a number of months and all of a sudden, my nitrates read 40. Why? Tested the RO water from two different stores, one read 20, the other 40ppm on nitrates. If they don't maintain their machines well, the output is not going to be good. I have since bought and RO/DI unit.

nhart608 said:
Be careful of the RO water from the grocery store machines (it's only RO not RO/DI). I had been running my tank at 0 nitrates for a number of months and all of a sudden, my nitrates read 40. Why? Tested the RO water from two different stores, one read 20, the other 40ppm on nitrates. If they don't maintain their machines well, the output is not going to be good. I have since bought and RO/DI unit.

The stuff at the store I go to is RODI. Says it on the machine and tests 0 for everything. PH is also neutral. 6.8 or something- I don't remember exactly.

I've known some people who've had good luck with getting their RO water from the store. I'm just too lazy to haul the big buckets up there! LOL! The stuff at Wal-mart I bought tested for phosphates so I would definitely stay away from them!

nhart608 said:

Yes, i have tested many brand of distilled from various grocery stores etc and they will all contain impurities. You will not find any single one with a 0 TDS reading. Most I tested were in the 25-100 TDS range. Also many contained phosphate and some nitrate.

I would use it in an emergency but will always stick with 0 TDS Ro/Di.

Back
Top Bottom