Accidental algae filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandLocked

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I have created an algae filter on accident. For some reason the rapids c-80 hob canister was looking like a good investment so I got one. I changed a few things so it only has blue floss and fluval mechanical rings, I also swapped the lines for vinyl. The canister has been hanging on the back of the tank kinda into a north facing window and today I have noticed what I think is algae growing over about half the media, its on the upper window side. Is this good or should I clean it out. My thinking is that it's fine even good for the algae to be growing just not in the display, it has to eat something right and what it eats I need gone. My display tank is staying very clear with no signs of algae but am I just keeping a bomb real close, will the algae in the filter seed my display or should I just like it keep truckin long as it stays to the filter.

Is it a planted tank? If not then I say go for it! People build filters to specifically do that. If it is planted then it could pull from nutrients that your plants need.

Is it a planted tank? If not then I say go for it! People build filters to specifically do that. If it is planted then it could pull from nutrients that your plants need.

Just a couple, maybe I'll pull the algae just to see if my plants start to grow. A lilly is growing like a monster but the other couple just kinda sit there, not sure what type of plants.

Back
Top Bottom