Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
once i get my tank all finished { as finished as they get lol.. equipment and lr wise at least }.. im going to just drip acclimate from the main tank to a bucket or some sort of container with the fishy or whatever in it...

i think thats the easiest / best way... its a nice slow acclimation and all, and i think you can use some sort of valve or buy a premade thing.. that will help you gague how fast of a drip you want, let it run for a hour or 2 or 3 or whatever you need.... and i think your good to go .. would like to hear other suggestions tho :D

I also drip acclimate and start by flaoting the bag, still closed, in the tank to adjust the temp. i used to use a valve but then i heard using a metal one can harm the fish so i stopped using that and started using a really skinny tube with three nots tied in it to get a slow drip going.

this is from my lfs, hth
Turn off your aquarium lights (reduces stress), and float the unopened bag for 15-20 minutes to equalize the temperature in the bag with that of your aquarium.
Open the bag, and float in your aquarium.
Add 1 cup of aquarium water to the bag.
Wait 7-10 minutes, and add 1 cup of aquarium water to the floating bag.
Repeat steps 3 & 4 until bag is almost full.
Remove half of the water from the bag and repeat steps 3 & 4 until bag is almost full.
Do not add the waste water to your aquarium!
Remove your fish or invertebrate from the bag and add to your aquarium.
Dispose of the waste water.
Leave your aquarium lights off for at least 12 hours. This will allow your new arrival time to adjust to it's new home, and will help reduce harassment from your existing animals
btw dripping can be done instead of using cup to add water

you could maybe { im not sure how this would work out } , you could maybe use a ball pvc ball valve and seal that up with some kinda pvc cement or something the like ... if it would hold that is.... and maybe try that way.....

well i guess it does not have to hold that tight its just a slow drip, i have 1/2 inch clear tube that fits real tight into those pvc fittings that accept 1/2 inch on one side and then go into { hence they are smaler, if you know the ones i mean :D .. dunno name } ... the other end fits into a 1/2 inch fitting { not pipe }, they stick in real tight into those smaller ends ... ive never tried to use it that way, just saying it did fit tightly .. was bored =)

oh ya, and float that bag :lol:

edit: there is also this thing btw, http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=JJ1117 ... i was looking at that when i was searching around at prices for pumps and such, i was thinking that could work well too - duno if anyone has had any exp with it tho

Drip acclimation IMO is the best way.. But you need to check the SG/salinity of the lfs water and then check yours.... Drip slowly until they are the same... I then drip for another 30 min after they are the same. Some LFS keep there SG very low 1.015-.018 and if your running a reef at .025 it can take 2-3 hours to acclimate properly. Some measure pH which is something that can kill fish also if brought up to quickly.

Since you should be using a QT to introduce new fish, the best suggestion is checking the LFS water and matching the SG of the QT to that. Then it's a simple matter of acclimating to chemistry. Lowering the salinity is quite tolerated by most teleost fish. Raising it however can be immensely stressful. You are better off introducing it to the same salinity and raising it over a period of days (0.001/day) until you reach the same as the display tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom