ADA Aquasoil = Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
All right, so my new nano tank is cycling. It looks great, the little AZOO HOB cleaned up the water nicely.

I tested for ammonia tonight just for fun (I haven't added any yet...) and it was almost off the scale. I had read somewhere that when you use ADA Aquasoil, it will give off some ammonia, but I wasn't expecting the spike I got. Do you think I will get a good cycle on the tank by just having the aquasoil and a bunch of plants I took out of my 29G and put in? Or will I need to add either a dead shrimp or some straight ammonia in a few days?

I also moved a couple of small rocks from the big tank, and I cut up a piece of sponge and threw it in the HOB on my 29G. I will move that over to the nano tank in a couple of days to try and get a culture in there.

I have never used that brand of aquasoil but I have used Schultz aquasoil, I have less problem with ammonia when starting a new tank than what I have read about others using ADA..

I usually plant my tank and then wait a couple of weeks before adding any filter media from another tank. There is usually a burst of growth. Let it run another week and add some more media. It seems to take longer to cycle a tank with aquasoil but it is well worth it IMO.

I recently talked to a friend that used the Aquasoil setting up their aquarium and they did mention that the Ammonia levels were extremely high for a few weeks. You could probably use that Ammonia to begin the cycle, but would need to supplement if the cycle is not complete before the Aquasoil ceases releasing Ammonia.

yes its common. it can get so high where it kills everything in the tank. i would wc to bring the ammonia level down or just let it been for a few weeks. i have some ada soil just sitting in a tank for a couple months just so i dont have to worry about that.

yes its common. it can get so high where it kills everything in the tank. i would wc to bring the ammonia level down or just let it been for a few weeks. i have some ada soil just sitting in a tank for a couple months just so i dont have to worry about that.

Thanks for the info. Any danger in the ammonia reaching such a level as to kill the plants I have in the tank, or were you talking more about fauna/bacteria?

i think it might be possible not 100% sure. i know i read where someone was saying not even pond snails were able to live in his tank. the bags do differ so its hard to say. just wc to bring the ammonia down some. thats what i would do to make sure everything is fine. the plants do use the ammonia just not at the speed it gives off.

The NH3/4 spike is golden goodness to your plants! Densly plant and this is the period where folks see the kind of growth they've not seen before (assuming they have not used nutrient-rich acidic soil before).

I agree with czcz. :)

The plants love it....but if you don't have alot of plants, the algae will love it.

When I setup tanks with Aquasoil, I try to do water changes about once a week, along with planting with a bunch of stem plants (even if you don't plan to keep them all). The ammonia spike will last for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom