Added 2nd Blue Acara, breeding right after being acclimated?? Whats going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I've ran into a weird situation today. I have a Firemouth, a Gold Severum, and now a 2nd Blue Acara in a 75 gallon, all at least 3 inches long. I don't plan on adding anything else except for one more cichlid today and I decided I was going to get one to hopefully pair up, would be nice but not dead set on it.

Anyways, acclimated the new Blue Acara, he hid for awhile, then shortly the two noticed each other. For the most part the new one is being followed by the other. It's very colorful and shows no aggression towards the new one, and seems to be doing something with it's mouth to wear it's colors are more vibrant, changing from blue to green every now and then. It's really a sight to see! My girlfriend's family was over and enjoyed watching.

But my conditions are not ideal, and from what I've read don't you need perfect conditions for breeding to even be a possibility?! I cycled my tank before adding my fish but noticed right after I added the new Acara that my Nitrites were at .5 ppm so I did a large water change and now it's below .25, going through a slight mini cycle due to the increase bio load of the new tank.

Could this be breeding, or do Blue Acara's just like following each other around like this? I've done a lot of research ever since I've started this hobby however I've never really read much on breeding, so I'm a complete newbie at this.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite < .25
Nitrate < 10
pH 7.4
Temp 75-77
Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom