Adding a betta to community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxfrenkel19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I'm wondering if its a bad idea to add a betta to my community tank. The guys at the LFS say yes, the internet says no. I'd love an opinion from someone with experience.

My tank is a 46ish gallon bow front, current residents include:

1 angelfish
2 bolivian rams
6 furcata rainbows
3 oto cats
1 bnp
1 dwarf gourami

I've heard that the gourami and the betta may consider each other competitors, are they going to kill each other? I'm getting the gourami on wednesday, but if I have to choose between him and a betta then perhaps I'll get a betta instead.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Don't put a Berta w/ a gourami. It will not turn out pretty:)

I honestly wouldn't put the Betta with an Angel fish either. I think there are very few fish types you can safely place with a Betta.

Honestly I'd stick with getting the DG, it's going to be a much safer way all the way around.

It's a misconception that bettas need to be alone you can place a betta in a tank with any community fish even guppies if you wanted as long as the tank is big enough and it is not packed if the number of fish in the tank are kept at a minimal number than it should be fine. I've kept bettas with angels, platys, tetras, Plecos, and mollies. I know people who have kept them with other types as well for years. Just think angel fish are actually cichlids therefore they can be very aggressive fish and yet we sometimes keep very large ones with small fish such as platys so if its possible to keep an aggressive fish such as an angel with peaceful species than you should only have the same amount of trouble introducing a betta to a community tank as you would if you introduced an angel. The betta may be more aggressive at the beginning because its not used to seeing other fish but it will eventually become familiar with the situation. Angels and rams would be fine with a betta in the tank if you have any small fish your worried about getting beat up than I would take them out till the betta has settled in.

Anything can be done I know people who have a two an a half foot arowanna in with a full grown Oscar and a full grown jack Dempsey as well as a jewel cichlid and a polypterus all fish that they say should not be put together and they have no problems. Most people who write about bettas or say that bettas have to be kept alone don't actually have any experience with keeping bettas with other fish because it actually is quite easy to do.

Yes, anything can be done but doesn't mean should be done. There are always exceptions to the rules and I don't think that everyone who says no to bettas in community tanks have never had expierence. I've been in the hobby since the 80's and I've done Betta's in community tanks in years past, sometimes with a mellow Betta it works, sometimes not. It's not always the Betta who's the problem, many times the Betta is the one who's long flowing fins are the target. IMO I wouldn't do it anymore, in fact haven't done it since probably the early 90's. There is no reason a person can't try but they also need to be prepared to intervine if necessary.

Yes, anything can be done but doesn't mean should be done. There are always exceptions to the rules and I don't think that everyone who says no to bettas in community tanks have never had expierence. I've been in the hobby since the 80's and I've done Betta's in community tanks in years past, sometimes with a mellow Betta it works, sometimes not. It's not always the Betta who's the problem, many times the Betta is the one who's long flowing fins are the target. IMO I wouldn't do it anymore, in fact haven't done it since probably the early 90's. There is no reason a person can't try but they also need to be prepared to intervine if necessary.

+1. Yes I find it too risky and do not like to take the chance. I have heard some having a Betta with guppies and the Betta has eaten away at the guppy til it dies. :(

"DOTB"
That's my acronym for depends on the Betta!
All my male Bettas are in community tanks - but you must always have a back up plan. Even if it works just fine for 6 months, someone can "snap" and it all goes to pieces. I had a young angel with a male Betta, but once the angel got bigger, he picked on the Betta, who in turn felt threatened and started messing with fish he had previously left alone. My only experience with a Betta and gourami was not good. Always have a back up!! And make sure you spend time watching their behavior every day to spot problems before serious injury occurs!

Wow thanks for all the replies, sounds like a little bit mixed opinion. I think I'll get the dwarf gourami wednesday, and depending on his temperament decide on a betta. The angel has given me no problems so far so hopefully she won't be too much of a concern.

On a related note, I would like to ask for fish suggestions. I was looking into a betta to add a big splash of color to my community tank (I have lots of interesting fish...just not much color). Does anyone have a suggestion for me if I decide against the betta? As you can see from my current list of fish, there's only a little spare room in my tank, so it could probably only be 1 mid sized or a couple smaller fish.

Thanks for all the help!

Not saying that they can't be community fish ever since I have had tanks there has been a betts in it, just when I did have a gourami they did not get along.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom