Adding neon tetras to a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patelike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering how many neon tetras could I add to a 20 gallon long community tank. This tank already has 4 albino corys in it and has quite a few plants. It's not fully cycled yet, so I won't be adding the tetras for another maybe 2 weeks.

Also I'm planning on adding a betta to it as well. As long as it isn't too aggressive. Or maybe start with a baby female betta. who knows. I'll definitely be adding more places to hide just in case though.

So yeah, how many neon tetras could I add in this tank with all the other fish?

Photo of my tank for reference:
DSCN5960.jpg

DSCN5952.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't add a betta to a tank with neons. The betta might see the colorful neons as competition.

Also, I'd wait a good 2-4 weeks after that tank is cycled to add neons. Neons don't handle ammonia particularly well and they tend to be inbred in the trade, which makes things worse. You could easily keep a dozen in a 20 long, along with the corys.

You'd probably be fine with 12-15 neons assuming you're going to add another fish after that. In my experience, neon tetras are very hardy fish. They were part of my fish-in cycle and I didn't lose any. Still haven't 2 months later after a tank switch (to a larger one) and addition of more neons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My betta lived peacefully with 7 neon tetras. She never even looked at them twice. Neon tetras are schooling fish, which means they must be kept in groups of 5 or more. I had great success in a 10 gallon with a female betta, 7 neon tetras, and a couple ghost shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you add more plants (which will equal more hiding spaces) then I don't think you will have any problems with any betta agression. You could get 10-15 neons no problem. Be aware that they MIGHT be bullied sometimes by bigger tetras like serpaes. Just a reminder.

Good luck with the tank!

Back
Top Bottom