Adding Prime after using Tetra SafeStart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd pull the under gravel filter. They can trap waste underneath them and as you said yours is already clogged.

I'd do a water change as soon as possible

Caleb

Ok so if I have to pull the underground filter it's going to cause one heck of a disruption to the tank and debris is going to be floating around everywhere. Therefore I'm guessing you would suggest I pull the under gravel filter then do the water change. I dislike the gravel to begin with, had I realized there was no real bacterial benefit of keeping it I would have replaced it prior to setting up the tank last night.
Since there is so much crud in the tank and I have to remove the underground filter anyway would it hurt to swap out the gravel at the same time?
Basically I would break the tank down again like I did yesterday when I bought it home. Put the fish in buckets with air stones, pull the gravel and underground filter, add new gravel and do 50% water change. I still have both slimy pads and they are still wet so I have a bio source and I would have some of the original water.
I am not thrilled with another all-nighter but I want to make this tank work and I’m also concerned because there are so many fish in the tank to begin with that I may injure some of them while pulling out the underground filter which is also why I feel I may need to remove all the fish.
I also just thought of something else, I’ve been reading about seeding material for tanks. What if I took the Bio Scrubber from one of the filters and put in the bio ball compartment of my BioCube, would it possible help with the cycling, currently there are no fish only plants in the tank.

You could go ahead and pull it all. Put all the guppies back in the bucket with their tank water while it's still clean and clean out the tank.

Caleb

When I went home last night I tested my tank and to my shock my readings had changed

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

I tested it twice to make sure I didn't mess something up and same results.

I was just too spent and mentally exhausted to do a water change or tackle anything other than sleep.

I woke up early this morning and tested it again with the same results.

I plan to keep testing both evening and morning to keep an eye on it. If anything changes I will do a 50% water change.

However come Saturday morning I am planning draining the tank, keeping about half the water, pulling out the underground filter cleaning it and replacing the gravel.

Until then my fingers are crossed.

With regards to my 29gal Biocube to help get it cycling could I possibly take one of the Bio Scrubbers from the guppie tank and put it in the BioCubes filter compartment to help start the cycle?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom