adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know I need more substrate but instead, do yall think it will look better if i topped it off with sand? The substrate is floramax and been thinking since I'm short on cash I might as well use what I have now. Here's my tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111209_132312.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111209_132312.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 116
Better tank shot.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111209_132358.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111209_132358.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 118
you could mix the substrate with sand... instead of just covering it.

if you do add sand, or even disturb the floramax i would suggest removing your fish, then do water change, add sand before refilling your tank after your water change.

that is what i would do. that is what i did when i created a sand pit in my 60g

rreekers said:
you could mix the substrate with sand... instead of just covering it.

if you do add sand, or even disturb the floramax i would suggest removing your fish, then do water change, add sand before refilling your tank after your water change.

that is what i would do. that is what i did when i created a sand pit in my 60g

Don't think it would look good if it was mixed, plus I have root tabs and don't wanna stir that up. If I plan on covering with sand It's fairly simple, I don't have to remove fish, just turn of the filter. That's how I switched from gravel to substrate.

mine is mixed, i used floramax just like you, river rock pebbles and natural colored sand that matched the river rocks. i like it but its a personal preference

-maybe look online for sand that matches the floramax substrate

i just wouldnt suggest layering substrate, i feel like there are a few complications that could cause but of course do what you think is best for your fish. just sharing my opinion

Can I see a pic? I was gonna get that black sand but found out its expensive.

rreekers said:
mine is mixed, i used floramax just like you, river rock pebbles and natural colored sand that matched the river rocks. i like it but its a personal preference

-maybe look online for sand that matches the floramax substrate

i just wouldnt suggest layering substrate, i feel like there are a few complications that could cause but of course do what you think is best for your fish. just sharing my opinion

What's wrong with a layer of sand over Floramax? I'm wanting to do the same thing and have a planted tank. What about sand/Floramax/sand?

the complications i have hear of consist of gas bubbles and growth of fungus or precipitate solids. this happens from stagnant sand or gravel. this is one plus to gravel because you dig down and siphon it, releasing gases and stuff like that.

rreekers said:
the complications i have hear of consist of gas bubbles and growth of fungus or precipitate solids. this happens from stagnant sand or gravel. this is one plus to gravel because you dig down and siphon it, releasing gases and stuff like that.

Good point.

rreekers said:

Sand is easier to clean. I've had no probs with it so far.

I totally agree that sand is easier to clean, im just saying the layers may cause stagnation that may cause those issues.. im not saying that it will, just sharing my opinion

Someone mentioned that they changed their substrate with fish still in the tank? (fishdud). I have a sand gravel mix, 55 gal heavily planted, but really want to add floromax. Did you drain your tank down? I'm trying to figure out the best way to add soil with the least amount of work and/or disturbance to the fish. Does adding soil to a tank with water in it, hurt the fish? How much water should I drain?

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 62
akagochi said:
Someone mentioned that they changed their substrate with fish still in the tank? (fishdud). I have a sand gravel mix, 55 gal heavily planted, but really want to add floromax. Did you drain your tank down? I'm trying to figure out the best way to add soil with the least amount of work and/or disturbance to the fish. Does adding soil to a tank with water in it, hurt the fish? How much water should I drain?

I did not drain the water at all. What I did is left my two filters running so it would be cleaning as I switched everything out cause it was a mess at first but with sand I wouldn't cause i heard it can mess up the filters. My fish were perfectly fine, I didn't drain the water, I just grabbed a cup and net and started scooping up the gravel.

I like where you are all going with this, what do you think about me pulling up half the plants in the tank, taking out half the sand/gravel substrate where those plants were, adding a soil on the bottom of that empty space, then replacing the sand gravel mix, then replant the plants. On the other half I repeat the process.

just an idea. your thoughts are appreciated.

akagochi said:
I like where you are all going with this, what do you think about me pulling up half the plants in the tank, taking out half the sand/gravel substrate where those plants were, adding a soil on the bottom of that empty space, then replacing the sand gravel mix, then replant the plants. On the other half I repeat the process.

just an idea. your thoughts are appreciated.

Do you wanna replace all the sand? And yeah forgot to mention to take out all decor and plants and make sure to keep the plants wet! Don't make the same mistake I did by leaving them out, they all dried and most didn't make it. Also replacing can take a GOOD amount of time.

Not necessarily replace all the sand, but use some of it to put on top of the soil after. I will make sure to cut the amount of gravel/sand substrate used in the new setup, in half, since the soil will add more depth to the substrate.
Yes a "GOOD amount of time" is an understatement. I stepped into a similar project at the end of the summer thinking that I would be done in a few hours......my living room was filled with buckets of plants, fish, and decor; there were towels and old bed sheets everywhere, not to mention rearranging and pushing all the furniture in various cornesr. I don;t know if you are in a relationship, but generally wives are not impressed with such moves. lol.

akagochi said:
Not necessarily replace all the sand, but use some of it to put on top of the soil after. I will make sure to cut the amount of gravel/sand substrate used in the new setup, in half, since the soil will add more depth to the substrate.
Yes a "GOOD amount of time" is an understatement. I stepped into a similar project at the end of the summer thinking that I would be done in a few hours......my living room was filled with buckets of plants, fish, and decor; there were towels and old bed sheets everywhere, not to mention rearranging and pushing all the furniture in various cornesr. I don;t know if you are in a relationship, but generally wives are not impressed with such moves. lol.

Ohh so you want sand,flora,sand? And i spent 3 hours this morning just adding more flora to the tank, never suffered that much back pain before Haha and I understand, when i work on my tank, I make my girlfriend help me :p lol it doesn't end well haha

Back
Top Bottom