Adopted little friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

A friend has had him in his tank for 2 years. And is moving so is pulling apart his tank, has just come outta my QT, so here is a pic of the happy little chap.

The good thing is he eats frozen food! YAY!

Attachments

• mandarinfish.jpg
    mandarinfish.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 113
well he was raised on brine, mysis and blender mush.. I feed my fish bloodworms, brine, mysis, nori, and other greens. He seems okay with this, Im unsure of what he is actually eating, as i think he is picking certain foods out of the mush..

But i will keep everyone posted..

try to get it a mate =p, mine breed in the tank which even my LFS said rare to see
,even they posted that it will happen, and the little guy looks very cute, try ur best to keep that fish happy, its very nice fish to keep i have to say

yeah. i fed him for the first time in the main tank. he even ate marine green!! he's still hiding abit at the back of the tank, but ill give it some time..

Beautiful Mandarin. I was always told they were difficult to keep unless you had copious amounts of LR to support they're natural food source.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have had my Mandarin for about 6 months in a 30 gallon SW tank with about 30 lbs of LR and he too seems to be doing quite well.

He actively eats Mysis and Brine shrimp and will eat Blood Worms as well.

Seems like I know a lot of people who's mandarin eats well. Maybe their eating habits or non-eating habits are a bit exaggerated?

That fish is so beutiful! I would love to have one. Maybe xmas present for me and Brian..........Hint.

Hahah nice way to get a message across Melissa..

I think Mandarins are just another hit and miss fish. Some will eat, some wont. even though it is eating prepared foods I also have 240lbs of LR for it to roam around....

I do not think their eating habits are exaggerated at all. I have one that will not eat any kind of prepared food. Some people get lucky and get a mandi that has been tank raised since birth in an enviornment where there was no natural prey, most of us however do not get that lucky.

I had one a while back and had problems with it because it wouldnt eat!!!! Good luck!!! Seems like he or she is doing very well though!!

More pics.. He is very active now..! So i took out the camera again..1st without flash..2nd and 3rd with..Now can anyone tell me.. His dorsal fin spine is a little lop sided.. is that a problem? It only sticks up when its scared or alerted?

Attachments

• mandarin1.jpg
    mandarin1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
  • mandarin2.jpg
    mandarin2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom