Advice for established 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kvicknair

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this forum, though I've been reading for a couple months. I would appreciate some advice.

My 9 year old has had a 10 gallon aquarium for a little over a year. He has 2 serpae tetras, 2 black tetras, 1 bronze cory and 1 oto. He hasn't had a single fish die and they all seem to be doing ok. But, we recently started researching stocking options for my 13 year old's new 29 gallon and realized that the tetras and the corys in our 10 gallon really need to be in larger groups of their kinds.

So, what is your advice at this point? If I added 3 more of each tetra and 3 more corys, we would have too many fish in that little tank. He doesn't want to part with any of them. He is very proud of himself for taking care of them and keeping them alive all this time. The serpae tetras seem like they may be a little unhappy. They hide out in the plants most of the time and the largest of the black tetras seems to be in charge. The cory seems fine, mostly oblivious to everything else that is going on. Would it be best just to leave things as they are? Add more of one kind?

Thanks.

If you can I'd recommend getting a bigger tank or at the very least move the stressed fish to your 29 if you can. If they're not stressed I don't see much of a problem of keeping them in the tank. But would recommend a bigger tank above anything else.
And welcome to AA ^_^

Keep calm and drum on

If you can I'd recommend getting a bigger tank or at the very least move the stressed fish to your 29 if you can. If they're not stressed I don't see much of a problem of keeping them in the tank. But would recommend a bigger tank above anything else.
And welcome to AA ^_^

Keep calm and drum on

I agree.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. Unfortunately a bigger tank isn't an option right now and neither is putting his fish in his brother's tank. I need to determine the best course of action with these fish in this tank. If we can't add enough fish to make them happier, I guess we just need to leave it alone. Like I said, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The fish seem fine.

Definitely agree with the above. If it seems to be working even if it isn't really the ideal I would leave well enough alone. Messing with things would probably only cause real problems that can't be left alone.

Well done for getting your kids interested in fish keeping at such a young age.
I agree with the comments above, if it's not broke don't fix it.
I have a group of serpae tetras in my mixed tetra tank and they like to skulk in the plants until feeding time. They don't display any signs of stress, they just prefer to be there. I also have about 12 corys and they definitely don't stick together.
Starting a new tank, a bigger tank, will give you the chance to try larger groupings of fish but no matter how you plan it from reading the fish write ups I bet some won't act as described. As long as they're 'happy' and healthy that's all that matters.
Good luck with your tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom