Advice for getting rid of Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanb_ny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pathetic 55 gallon tank that I would like to clean out and start a planted aquarium from scratch.

From when I was really young my parents bought me 2 goldfish to care for in a 10 gallon tank. I really became interested in caring for them and convinced my parents to buy me a 55 gallon tank to put them in. We had them for about 3 years now and over time we bought more fish for the tank. We got 3 golden loaches and 2 cory catfishes which bred themselves and now we have 7.

The goldfish have become really huge and theres clearly not enough space anymore in the tank. My mom keeps on removing ornaments to provide swimming room for the goldfish because they keep getting stuck. So now we have all this fish in our 55 gallon tank with just some simple-sand substrate and 3 medium sized rocks.

It looks awful (The fish barely swim around) and I desperately want to just get rid of all the fish and start over. I believe I have done enough research to start a planted aquarium. My only problem is we had the goldfish for so long that my mom doesn't want to just get rid of them.

Whats the best way I can convince her to get me to start from scratch?

What if you build a pond for the goldfish and give away/sell the ones you don't want to keep on AA?

Well getting a 75g for the goldies is an option, I like corys and I'm not sure about golden loaches but I think they both could be incorporated into a new planted set up. Goldfish live a long time if properly cared for. You could check with your local fish shop or advertise on craigslist for a new home. What kind of goldies are we talking g about? Comets or fancy or?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Building a pond won't be an option since I live in a very small neighborhood in NYC. They're both fancy type goldfish about 7inches long so I'm not sure I can sell them back since they're so huge.

I like the idea of keeping the cory's and loaches for the new planted aquarium. I've never thought of it. Will they thrive more, cause all the fishes just sit at the bottom of the tank. It's a really boring site.

You could try to locate local fish clubs. They may have connections and resources for rejoining livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the idea of keeping the cory's and loaches for the new planted aquarium. I've never thought of it. Will they thrive more, cause all the fishes just sit at the bottom of the tank. It's a really boring site.

Well what temp is your tank set to right now? That could be affecting certain fish as corys and goldies don't necessarily have the same requirements. What kind of cory are they specifically or if you aren't sure try to post a pic for us so we can help identify the.

large fancy goldfish of that size can sometimes bring a fair price. You should talk to your lfs guys. They might be willing to buy them from you.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443055090.312860.jpg

Those are 2 of the male cory's. I've never tested the temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there a heater in the tank? Goldfish are coldwater species but corys are more tropical, they like it in the low 70s I think (someone else can confirm)

Looks like c. Aenus
If you convinced your mom to get a bigger tank it shouldn't be too hard to convince her to rehome the fish if their quality of life could be better elsewhere. Have her help you pick out some new stock...that's a good incentive!
Some stores will take fish for free and adopt them out. Local fish clubs, Facebook groups, craigslist, and this forum are all good options for finding a home.
If you're going tropical with plants you will need a heater unless your house temp will provide the required conditions for the fish.
Good luck!

Put an ad on CL looking to donate to somebody that has a pond. May even try local Asian restaurants, as many of the fancier ones often have koi ponds etc. You could also ask around local fish stores...some may be willing to take them, or give your number to regular customers that have ponds. Perhaps also try posting an ad in the regional forum on this site. Just a few ideas. Good luck

Going back to the question 'how can I convince her ?
Find an article showing her how big goldfish grow and how much happier they would be in a pond or a very large display tank.
Show her pictures of what you would like the 'new' tank to look like. Explain that re homing the goldfish is in their best interest and that it will enable to you to progress with your hobby of keeping tropical fish and hopefully plants as well.
Even stubborn Mums can be worn down eventually. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There's a helpful sticky in the cold water and native fish section about tank size for goldfish

Back
Top Bottom