Advice on stocking 25G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njordsdomain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, everyone!

I was hoping for some advice on stocking my new 25gal freshwater fish tank! The tank is currently cycling, and I plan on going fish shopping this weekend with the purpose of stocking what I'd like to be a fairly peaceful and happy community tank. It is also live-planted. After extensive research, I have three primary ideas on what I would like:

A) 1 male betta
5 neon tetras
5 harlequin rasbora
3 ghost shrimp/3 snails/1 clown pleco

B) 1 male dwarf gourami
5 neon tetras
5 harlequin rasbora
3 ghost shrimp/3 snails/1 clown pleco

C) 5-7 female bettas (for a sorority tank)

While I have grown up around aquariums all my life, I am new to developing my own little ecosystems. That being said, I'd love some input on these options. Thanks!

Hi! I'd say that instead of having two types of schoolers, you could make it 7/8 of either the tetras or rasboras. This would mean you would have room for some bottom feeders like various Cory cats. I love ghost shrimp though. I'd warn against a pleco just because I always have been told they need very large tanks but I could be wrong.

A) would not work because male bettas can get aggressive. I think a pair of small killifish would work well. Be sure not to get annual killies. They die within a year

It is also live-planted. After extensive research, I have three primary ideas on what I would like:

I'd go 7-8 rasboras with the betta (even peaceful neons might get a little nippy seeing his fins). Just one thing: bettas and tank mates are a crap shoot. Some will be chill with sharing their tank, others will put on a goalie mask and change their name to "Jason." :blink:

You'll jut have to keep an eye on things and be ready to separate them.

I love Dwarf Gouramis, but I've read that the current population often carries some sort of disease. You might do better with a single male Honey Dwarf Gourami.

Back
Top Bottom