Advice please? gravel to sand questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikkiog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, been thinking about changing my gravel to pool filter sand for a long time now. Just got a question or two I can't seem to get answered through Google :p
I guess the main one is that I know I should turn the filters off (have 2 canisters) when changing it but how long can the bacteria survive in the filter for? Say it takes me half hour to get all the gravel out and sand in then another hour for it to settle down will my bacteria die off? Also, switching on the filter while it is still a bit cloudy.. Will this cause any damage?
Just to be on the safe side here's my plan:
All fish into a 10-15g bucket with heater plus some tank water saved. I suppose I'll have to drain the tank otherwise the water will be gross from messing around with the gravel!
Sand in, refill and heat. Then reintroduce fish and decor. Oh and how long will fish be alright in a bucket without a filter and I don't have an air pump or similar. Or is it possible/easier to change with fish in.

Any issues with that as a very basic plan?

It's a 55g with a mixed stock as I occasionally rescue fish with the hope of getting a larger group of them or a more suitable home.
Stock is: 6 hatchets, 1 honey gourami, 7 rummynose tetras, 3 phantom tetras, 5 otos, 2 emerald dwarf rasboras, a flame tetra and an amano shrimp and hopefully a group of Corys when the sands in.

I wouldn't worry at all about the bacteria in the canister filter. I would however put the fish in a large Rubbermaid tote and run one of the canister filters in that for aeration. Just be sure to rinse the sand before it goes in the tank and everything should go well.

Also, reacclimate the fish to the new tank water as if you had just bought them. The ph and temp will likely be different when you are done.

How would I connect the filter to the fish bucket? Doesn't the filter have to be lower than the bucket to run?

I wouldn't do it in something like a bucket but a 15gal Rubbermaid tote would suffice. Just put it on a table.

Back
Top Bottom