Advice? (Specifically with Feeding)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Steve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fellow aquarium enthusiasts -
I've had my first tank (20 gal.) for just over a year now, and in that time I've had a difficult time keeping my fish alive. I've lost a few mollies, a sword tail, and a guppy. They'll live for a few months, then start to show signs of stress (hanging out at the top or bottom and swimming in place) My only survivor is a hardy bristlenose pleco, who is currently my tank's only occupant. My levels are all good, I do regular water changes, I don't over stock, and the temp. is constant. I've been wondering if their poor health is due to bad feeding habits. I'm not as regular as I should be - a pinch of your standard flake food once or twice a day. Could they be getting too much or not enough? That would also explain why the pleco is doing so well, because I consistently supplement his diet with alge wafers.
I would appreciate your thoughts about what the cause might be, as well as any tips for feeding.
Thanks!

I've read quite a few cases of chain store fish living shorter life spans than normal. I've experienced it a few times. Fish living for a few months then just dropping dead.

If your water test checks out then I would really think it's more weak genetics than anything.

Caleb

It is very important, how you give the food.
Watch your fish! If they come forward when approaching the aquarium, then you can be given a little food, but not otherwise.
I feed early in all tanks few living water fleas, but very little. If still interested, half a cube frost or a little granular too. Or a tablet with Spirulina.
It must be different food, not always the same.
The live food prevents clogging.

They must be hungry. The fish must all go the front glass. Then it's right.

greetings

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the food at the moment...when you say levels are "good" what are the actual numbers and what are you using to test? Are you treating the water during water changes? I know these are basic questions but figured we should start at the beginning :)

I use the API test kit. Ammo is zero, nitrite is zero, and nitrates rarely get above 20. I do bi-weekly 50% water changes and always use prime.
The only pet store in town is petco. The next closest store is 3 hours away. Could it just be a bad dealer? If so, would it be better to buy fish at a different store the next time we take a road trip and keep them in a bag for the trip home?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or order them online. Read some of the posts discussing different online retailers or check out highly rated sellers on aquabid.com and eBay. With the Internet, you're not limited to who's nearby.

Sucky thing about buying fish online is the shipping. I wanted an african brown knife so bad.. Found one on aquabid for $10 dollars!! But the shipping to the US was $50...

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

If you buy multiple items from the seller the quality of the fish usually pays off for the crazy shipping price.

Caleb

In addition to the local fish store, is there anything else you can think of that might be contributing to the short life expectancy of my fish?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My guess would be crappy stock or illness (though hard to tell without any other outward signs). Big box stores unfortunately have a reputation for having sick fish, but it depends on their source and their local staff. Typically all of their tanks run on a shared filtration system and since they don't quarantine it's easy for any fish you get to potentially be sick or stressed which will lower their immune system. It might be worth giving another store a shot or ever craigslist or a local aquarium society member/auction

You could ask the staff what days they get new shipment of fish and go in on those specific days.

I always do the fake feeding trick when buying fish. If they dont rush to the top of the aquarium when i put my hand up there i dont buy them

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Every 2 weeks water changes is too long. Apart from the audited constituents there are others. The accumulate. Better every week. Water change. There are also small animals, so that the damage, and if the time to complete their life cycle, there are losses. Since the chemistry may be in order.
If fish bought that are not right, they know you. In the next few days not much later.

The fish in the image are well nourished, but hungry. This makes them healthy.
That's what I wanted to tell you,
And alternatively the lining. Otherwise clogging

102018-albums14463-picture69599.jpg

In the middle is a catfish tablet

Since it sounds to me like you are doing everything right, I don't really have an idea why you are having premature deaths. So I'll throw a few things out to rake or leave. I only feed once a day, except what might need to be put in at night for a fish such as a pleco, in the bottom. You might try different fish, in a 20 I like honey gourami say 4, but only one male. And then a school of something small, Cardinal tetras. I believe a larger school of one species of schooling fish is better for the fish, they act more natural. And it's visually appealing. This is my taste I understand yours may be different. You might want to try the fish store 3 hours away to restock if you feel it is worth the drive. Do they quarantine new arrivals and check fish for sick ones, etc.? When you do restock, only add 3-4 fish at a time every week or so to avoid an ammonia spike. Oh and I try to not buy newly arrived fish, I have heard most of the deaths are within the first days of arrival after being shipped. I have a really good privately owned store where I live and they have the dates the fish arrive on side of the tanks.

Once I bought fish from a store 3 1/2 hours away, they packed them for shipping in the bag and then in sterifoam sp? And they did fine. Just remember to unwrap them in a dark place, I opened mine in full light and they were in a full panic with the sudden light. Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom