Advice: The Humane Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have read this article and i am keen on performing a humane cycle on my tank before i even consider adding any fish... Unfortunatly my local supermarkets don't sell raw shrimp, but i managed to get myself a raw peeled king prawn... the problem i think i may face is this is 0.009Kg, 3.5cm long(ish).

Do i need to break this up or shall i just put the whole thing in the tank?

The tank is 35 US Gallon, and have i have a full filtration, heating & powerhead setup. If there is anything else you need to know, please ask - i'll be watching this thread like a hawk ;)

AH-99P

Oh i forgot to mention, I also have 9Kg of live rock in the tank... which holds lots of critters... would it be an idea to look into getting a few hermit crabs / clean up crew now or after the tank has cycled?

wait until after the tank is cycled for the critters. It really doesnt matter if you break up the shrimp or not. Here in a few days it will be pretty well "mush" anyway and the rotting will start the cycling process for you.

its in the tank... i'll probably find all the live rock inhabitants at it during lights off in an hours time :p

There isn't anything magical about using a shrimp. You could put in a few teaspoons of cheap fish food to start the cycle. (At least that's what I understand.) :mrgreen:

you may be able to, but I assure you it would not happen as effectively as the shrimp.

Hara said:
you may be able to, but I assure you it would not happen as effectively as the shrimp.

Oh. Ok. :roll: I don't have the experience to know. Thanks Hara. 8)

Ok, the prawn has been in for 2 nights now... its turned from the raw blue colour to the ready to eat pink colour and a little beyond... i think its starting to go white now.

My main concern at the moment is the smell... since i've added the prawn, the water is starting to smell worse and worse... is the normal, i mean i know there is something starting to rot in there... but this is my first time so i'm going to ask all the questions!?

I took the first set of tests yesterday evening...

PH - 7.8
Annomia - 0.25
Nitrate - 160
Nitrite - 0.25

(not sure if i have nitrite & nitrate the right way round there)

Should i take the tests again tonight and compare... what should i be seeing... what would be cause for concern?

Should i do any water changes during the cycle or just leave it to do its thing..? Is everything going "right"?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

sounds like things are going well...I would leave the prawn in another day, then take it out. Do not do any water changes until the cycle is done. I would test maybe every other day now.

you sure i should remove it this evening / in the morning?

I tested the water again last night (i know you said every other day now... but i was excited!!) Anyway, the results were the same, just the PH has moved up to 8.0

PH - 8.0
Annomia - 0.25
Nitrate - 160
Nitrite - 0.25

is my nitrate level something to be worried about - its the highest level that my test kit goes to!!

Back
Top Bottom