Advice !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The water plant is tied (or maybe grown, can't tell the difference) on a piece of driftwood.
That would make it an Anubias (Heart shaped leaves, very short) or Java Fern (Most likely, long thin leaves). Both are slow growers and will not affect the aquatic balance at all.

Leaves !

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
The water plant is tied (or maybe grown, can't tell the difference) on a piece of driftwood.
That would make it an Anubias (Heart shaped leaves, very short) or Java Fern (Most likely, long thin leaves). Both are slow growers and will not affect the aquatic balance at all.

Wizzard,

I think it's the Java Fern - yes, the leaves are long and thin, they look like fern leaves.

I have a question : Does such a plant produce and release ammonia into the water please ?

Update 2 !

Fellow forummers,

Nine hours after I performed the Full Water Change today, and reversed what I added yesterday, the pleco started to sit itself on a leaf at the surface. It has a very small portion of its mouth above the water level.

Is this behaviour normal for a pleco please ? Is it sitting there because it's enjoying the leaf, or is it breathing, or is it because of the level of ammonia in the tank ?

Apart from the 5 pellets which I put into the tank earlier today (please see previous posts in this thread), I have not added anything else. The pleco does not look stressed in any way, after all it has the tank all by itself.

What could be producing the ammonia ? Could it be from the water plant ?

It couldn't be the bubbling filter, nor the small stones, right ?

The water is still clear, though I can see residues flowing around inside.

Should I do a 50% water change now in order to reduce this ammonia concentrate ?

Please advise, my friends,...... Let's see if we can save this pleco together !

By the way, I'm not too sure how to see if the pleco is unhappy. It's got a 'poker-face', and not too many expressions.

Plant will absorb ammonia - thank you !

rich311k said:
The plant will not produce ammonia. If anything it will remove it from the water.

Wizzard,

Thank you. This answers one of my questions that came after your latest post.

But then, what could be introducing the ammonia to such a level ?

Like I said earlier, my tank has enough aeration ! I'm sure of that. Therefore, the pleco couldn't be suffocating.

Would appreciate yuor advice again.

The ammonia is coming from decomposing food and from fish waste. Do a 50% water change if you ammonia is above .5ml. If the pleco is not breathing hard he is probably ok. He just likes that spot. Did you read the article about the nitrogen cycle in the article section? It is very informative.

Will do a 50% water change now !

Rich,

Thank you, will do the 50% water change now and observe the pleco further ! Many thanks for your advice.

I would also remove the excess food. Food is only used as one type of fishless cycle. The fish himself will produce ammonia. And you should add no more fish til the cycle is complete, which could be as long as 6-8 weeks.

Update 3 !

Dear forummers,

My 50% water change has been completed yesterday : did this composition : 25% of tap water and 25% of the distilled water that I have kept throughout the day..

The pleco is still observed to be :-

a) 'bumping' to the surface for air every now and then.

b) at times sitting on the leaf at the surface level.

But other than the above 2 behaviours, I can't tell if the pleco is breathing hard or suffering in any way.

All excess food has been removed. The tank still looked clean.

Lonewolfblue : thank you for your advice. I certainly hoped I can add just one more fish sooner.

Rich : Yes, I have read-up on the Nitrogen Cycle Process and am trying to put it into practice now.

Thanks again to yourselves and all other forummers.

Just remember, if you add even just 1 more fish, that will increase the amount of ammonia being given off, and would mean even closer monitoring, and PWC's. Keep up the good work. If the fish looks like it's surfacing for air, probably should do another 50% water change to see if he calms down some. If you don't have the ammonia test kit, his gills are probably burning from the ammonia in the water. Just remember, til you are cycled, PWC's are very important. :)

Update 4 - the last pleco DIED !

Dearest forummers and gurus,

My pleco has died too, approximately 16 hours after my 50% PWC yesterday.

This morning, I observed the pleco closely. It was :-

1) sitting on a leaf at the water surface, I think it was breathing (part of
its nose was above water, I don't understand this, I thought it breathes
with gills).

2) 'bumping' up to the surface for air if it was beneath water surface.

The plece died among the leaves of my water plant, similar to the other 2 goldies I had. Is there something we can read from here : all 3 fishes died among the leaves of my water plant.

If it's true that ammonia was burning the gills of my pleco (which finally killed it), where did this ammonia come from ? I have only one pleco and the single water plant in the tank. Rotten food has been removed yesterday after doing the 50% PWC. This 50% PWC was done without dechlorinator.

Furthermore, the tank looks clean, no cloudiness in the water.

I will provide below my tank system 'ecology' again, after the death of my last and single fish, the pleco :-

1) 1 water plant, probably Java Ferns planted on and tied to a piece of
driftwood (could this be the source of ammonia) ?

2) Many small pebbles, but no sand nor gravel. These pebbles have been
washed many times with water.

3) 1 filter which also acts as the bubble source.

4) Food particles removed, water is clear and not cloudy.

Tank Dimensions : Cylindrical tank, 1 ft in diameter with a water height of approx 10 inches.

I supposed the Nitrogen Cycling Process is still developing in the tank, thus I have not poured away the water. After all, the plant is still inside.

I appreciate your comments, dear forummers.

Furthermore, I am thinking of stocking another 2 small fishes in the tank, to speed up the Nitrogen Cycle. Hopefully, I can go back to seeing nice goldies in my little tank again soon.

Don't add any fish, the water now is too toxic. From here, you should just stick with a fishless cycle. Have you got a test it yet? Really need one. And no, more fishes won't speed the cycle up, it will just kill more fish til the ammonia and nitrite spikes have past and the tank is cycled.

To do the fishless cycle from here, all you need to do is add a tiny bit of flake food every day, just a tiny pinch, and test the water. Once ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 , you are cycled. Then when cycled, do a 50%-70% PWC to bring the nitrates down, and add fish. That's what's most recommended.

Lonewolfblue,

Thank you for your quick reply and advice.

On the other hand, since this current tank of water is toxic, should I just change the water and start with 2 fishes ?

TIA again,..........

If you replace the water and add more fish, the ammonia will build up again. and you should also replace at least 50% of the water every day, til it cycles. Just don't wash the gravel, or you'll lose some of the bacteria that's already started growing, and use dechlorinated tap water for the water changes.

Thank you !

Wolf,

Thank you.

Yes, I figured so, with a fresh tank of water, the ammonia will still build-up again,........... No point changing the water.

I just had to, literally, jump thru this first hurdle of cycling the tank.

My appreciation to all contributors again. It has been a great to and fro discussion in the last 2-3 days on these 3 fishes of mine.

1) sitting on a leaf at the water surface, I think it was breathing (part of
its nose was above water, I don't understand this, I thought it breathes
with gills).

2) 'bumping' up to the surface for air if it was beneath water surface.

The plece died among the leaves of my water plant, similar to the other 2 goldies I had. Is there something we can read from here : all 3 fishes died among the leaves of my water plant.

If it's true that ammonia was burning the gills of my pleco (which finally killed it), where did this ammonia come from ? I have only one pleco and the single water plant in the tank. Rotten food has been removed yesterday after doing the 50% PWC. This 50% PWC was done without dechlorinator.

Just a bit of information that I know about Pleco's.

They have an internal organ that allows them to breath regular air. a pleco out of water will live as long as it doesn't dry out.

The ammonia can burn gills, destroy internal organs and more. chances are the pleco didn't die from burnt gills, rather organ failure. I'm not familiar with what's going on with your tank, so I'm just pointing out what would have happened tho you said the ammonia was very high. chances are all the water changes in the world wouldn't have saved him. Sorry.

Also, if you are out, try to pick up a bottle of Prime Dechlorinator (white bottle, red label) it will neutralize most of the ammonia but not negatively affect your cycle. It is by far one of the most comprehensive dechlorinators on the market and is also in such a strong concentration that 1 bottle seems to last forever (1 capful is good for 50Gal) 1ml/10Gal..

Hopefully things turn over for you and your bacteria's get growin, until then, I wouldn't add any more load.

The fact that they were all amongst the leaves of the plant is probably because the water movement draws them to it.

Sorry for the loss.

Thank you !

Wizzard,

Thank you once again for your kind words.

What is the brand of this Prime Dechloronator please ?

I am in Singapore, and I don't know if this is sold here. How do I get this thing ?

Thank you and Update 5 - reloaded !

Rich,

Once again, thank you,........

To all, I have put in some small fishes into my tank, and a betta too. Has not changed the water, the water is till clear and clean.

I have decided to go through the tank cycling first before getting goldies.

Thus, no goldies yet for now.

Upon going into the tank, the fishes looked happy and calm. Let's see what happens in 24 hours from now.

The filter / bubble source, water plant, etc are all inside. Thus water has been left overnight, and 'bubbled' throughout the night. Should be good, right ?

Back
Top Bottom